VLC "buggy" since switching to Qt

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
mac
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

VLC "buggy" since switching to Qt

Post by mac » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:39 am

Umm, I had grown to like VLC a lot and recently I "upgraded" to the latest Qt build and now it no longer works. Goes from choppy video to black screen depending on settings. This is all since they changed from wxWidgets to Qt.

VLC changed from wxWidgets and now it sucks! Freezing my vista 64 and even trying to reinstall it and old version didn't help and playing with the output settings blahblah...

Kind of coincidental how when it was written with wxWidgets it worked fine and now it is crappy XD

I can't be the only one having trouble with it in vista 64?

Anyways, we've been watching daily videos with windows media player and it plays them just fine :) It didn't used to, that is why I installed VLC in the first place (a year ago or so). I miss when I used Slackware as my main computer and XINE worked great. I wish they could XINE port for MSW ^_^

I hate that when software that I use for a long time suddenly just changes and stops working like it used to... (XMMS ... looking at you too!)

Well, WMP actually works but there is a weird loading delay like a good 2-3 seconds that VLC didn't need to do before (before they ruined it).

It still works in OS X though (VLC, eventhough its always been buggy in OS X too but...) so I can't ask for my money back since I didn't pay anything but still...! :p
vista 64bit, OS X 10.4.x, OS X 10.3.9 x 2
(virtualization: vista 32bit, MS XP, MS95, MS98, Debian 3.1, Slackware 12, FreeBSD 6.1, a few more)

wx: 2.8.8/9 (unicode)
compilers: gcc (GTK+2, OS X), vc++6(MSW)

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VLC "buggy" since switching to Qt

Post by tierra » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:10 am

Let me just start out by saying that I don't use VLC. I only play videos on linux desktops, and I'm a huge fan of mplayer without any GUI.

It's entirely possible that your issues have nothing to do with VLC's migration to Qt though, I wouldn't be as quick to jump to conclusions, but I do feel sorry that they decided to make such a huge change with what was probably a massive undertaking without even bothering to get help with whatever problems they were having with wxWidgets, or even mention what problems they were having. To this day, none of the wxWidgets community knows why they switched.
mac wrote:I hate that when software that I use for a long time suddenly just changes and stops working like it used to... (XMMS ... looking at you too!)
Speaking of projects that switched off of wxWidgets...

I went from using XMMS mostly to using Exaile, and I'm a fan of it. But I'm also a friend of the founder and core developer of it, and it also used to be built on top of wxPython, so I may be a bit bias. :)

Exaile stopped using wxPython and moved to pygtk, but at least they had a reason, tried to get it worked out, but failed and for a good reason. It needed some strong support of an easy to use drag and drop API, and wxWidgets drag and drop support is pretty poor and buggy on GTK+.

Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:23 pm

I agree with tierra they could have rather asked rather than rewriting it all.

There is however one thing to consider : they did a near full-rewrite of the GUI, and full rewrites are by nature more buggy than code that has been bug-fixed for years. So the bugginess may just be a result of the young age of this new code, rather than a Qt limitation.

Being community-maintained + having to support many platforms unfortunately yields to wxWidgets being less feature-rich than other toolkits, and having more differences between platforms. Well that's part of the deal, and i'm fine with it, but i understand others may find other libs more appropriate for their needs.

mac
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by mac » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:15 pm

Auria wrote:So the bugginess may just be a result of the young age of this new code, rather than a Qt limitation.
Yes, I agree. I wasn't saying that because it uses Qt it is buggy. I still use Opera on some of my computers and it's the best thing that I know of that uses Qt :)

I actually wouldn't care if the latest build of VLC was written in Visual Basic 5.0 and win32...if it worked perfectly like it used to ^_^'
vista 64bit, OS X 10.4.x, OS X 10.3.9 x 2
(virtualization: vista 32bit, MS XP, MS95, MS98, Debian 3.1, Slackware 12, FreeBSD 6.1, a few more)

wx: 2.8.8/9 (unicode)
compilers: gcc (GTK+2, OS X), vc++6(MSW)

computerquip
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by computerquip » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:17 pm

I didn't see the point of the switch. It's not much of an improvement really and to add to that, the cost, the time, and the bugginess is a loss + loss + loss + about-the-same situation. What would cause them to do that?

VLCPlayer doesn't seem to be as good of quality as other players that can adapt with codecs such as Zoom Player or Media Player Classic (:D) . You'll notice that the playback on .mkv, higher quality .avi files, and some .ogm files are very buggy compared to other players. Strangely enough, if you play a High Definition DVD on VLC it doesn't lag at all. >.>

I really don't see the big advantage of Qt other that being in a C++ format. Never really looked it up either.