Hibernation under windows 98/ME Topic is solved

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
allany
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Hibernation under windows 98/ME

Post by allany »

Hi all,

Is hibernation supported under Windows98/ME ?

Best regards.

Alan
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Copied from internet:
Under Windows 98, Me, or 2000 there was an option in the shutdown dialog box to enter the computer into hibernation (where all the content of the RAM is copied to the hard disk). The shutdown dialog box of Windows XP doesn't offer any longer the hibernation button. Some users may get confused about how to enable the hibernation mode. If this mode is supported by your motherboard (ACPI) you have to do the following:

1. Click Start and Shut Down,
2. Point the standby button and maintain the shift key pushed,
3. A new hibernation button appears: click it while still holding the shift key: voila your PC will hibernate.
Also this might be of use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_n ... management
allany
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by allany »

Thanks priyank_bolia,

But i mean as a programmer is hibernation( or SetSystemPowerState( false, false ) ) is supported in Win98/Me?

Best regards.

Alan.
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

allany
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by allany »

Thanks again,

In the second link you provided it says:
[quote]
BOOL SetSystemPowerState(BOOL
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

No idea man, I just searched the net, to provide you info.
Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Sof_T »

I know when I used to run win98 on a desktop hibernation was touch and go, once the hard drives powered down they would not wake up again, this was because hibernation was considered a laptop thing and motherboard support for it in desktops was patchy with each manufacturer taking a different approach.
The home of Sof.T http://www.sof-t.site88.net/
Author of Programming with wxDevC++
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdevcpp-book/
allany
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by allany »

Laptops with Windows 3.x, 95, 98 and NT generally will include a save to file or partition utility. These utilities allow the laptop to save information to a file or a partition and may vary depending upon the BIOS the computer has.

Users who have the Phoenix BIOS will have PHDISK utility. The PHDISK utility was one of the first utilities used to save information to a special NON-DOS partition on the computer. Users with PHDISK will generally have a hidden or MS-DOS partition. This partition is created based off the amount of memory in the computer.

Users who have the AMI BIOS will have the HDPREP utility. The HDPREP utility saves to a file located on the hard disk drive and not a partition as PHDISK does. This file is generally located in a the root of the C: drive.

Note: Microsoft Windows XP comes with it's own solution for doing this. These utilities are no longer needed for this release of Windows as well as future releases.
Source : Link

That means : windows 98 does not support hibernation by itself.

I have tried the SetSystemPowerState function under windows 98, and indeed There is no distinction between Suspend and Standby. The computer goes into Standby mode in both cases.