questions about the license Topic is solved

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
MoonKid
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

questions about the license

Post by MoonKid »

I have some question about the wx-license.

Does anyone thougt about the new GPLv3 license?

The problem is that a lot of wx-components (wxCode, etc) are licensed under the wx-license. And that is why I can not add such components to my GPLv3 project.

I have to create a lib or dll of each component and link against them with my GPLv3 project. I am right?

But a lot of components are just one class and it is technical overhead to create a lib of it.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
I guess it would be ok to link statically with any component under the wxWidgets license. This license allows to do that. Using GPL code in a wxWidgets licensed application is another thing.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
MoonKid
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by MoonKid »

upCASE wrote:Using GPL code in a wxWidgets licensed application is another thing.
I mean using wx-licensed code in a GPLv3 application. ?
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

MoonKid wrote:I mean using wx-licensed code in a GPLv3 application. ?
This should not be a problem.

The wx-license basically is a LGPL license. This allows you to use & modify the code and release your work under your own license. So using wxWidgets for a commercial project is fine if you choose to do so. If you choose to have your project under the GPL, that's fine as well.

In other words, you're allowed to use, modify, compile, etc. wxWidgets and use it in a project under your own license.

MoonKid
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by MoonKid »

upCASE wrote:In other words, you're allowed to use, modify, compile, etc. wxWidgets and use it in a project under your own license.
I can modify wxWidgets and rerelease under another license? No, I don't think so!!!

I will aks the dev-list and hope that any maintainer or the wxl write itself will answer.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

MoonKid wrote:I can modify wxWidgets and rerelease under another license? No, I don't think so!!!
You can modify wxWidgets and/or use code from it and release binary object code using it under your own license. This does however not imply that you can put wxWidgets under your own license.

I thought your question is if you can use wxWidgets in an application of yours and have that under the GPL.
I believe you can do this. wxWidgets itself would still be under the wxWidgets license, while your code would be under the GPL.