MinGW on WinXP (Disadvantages) Topic is solved

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
jpablo
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

MinGW on WinXP (Disadvantages)

Post by jpablo »

are there any disadvantages on using MinGW on winxp (GCC compiler on winxp) ? for example, is it possible to use wxwindows as a DLL ? the exe will be bigger, slower, etc ? because if i m not mistaking the same code that runs on linux runs without changing any single line of code on winxp (by this i mean due to some compilers restrictions, #ifdef , #define etc etc) if i use the same compiler as i m on linux (gcc)?

Or maybe the restrictions are applied to the OS level, for example, i m making a DLL which is supposed to export some classes (or the application is supposed to import some classes), i have read that exporting classes on Winxp if tricky and some time does not work.
Right now i m building the library on linux, and on linux as you know i dont even need to use any #define DLLIMPORT .... for example to export a class (eventhough they are defined because in a second phase of the dll i have to compile it in winxp), so i was hoping to use MinGW on WinXP and dont change any line of code.

i dont know i m kinda lost, have not done much on win os and on linux life is so much easier ;-) thank you
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

the exe will be bigger, slower, etc
Mmm... the size of executable should not be the problem especially when using UPX packer. MinGW creates a little bit slower executables and build process passes slower than with VC++ but applications built with MinGW are 100% portable however applications built with VC++ sometimes need modifications if you want to make them work under Linux. It seems that MinGW is closer to C++ standards than VC++.
I'm using VC++ for my projects but I also test them with MinGW to be sure that everything should compile fine under Linux and only after that I build the project under Linux.

Regards,
T-Rex