Alpha release of book - Programming with wxDev-C++

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Jaime
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

book

Post by Jaime »

He terminado de traducir el cap
Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Sof_T »

Just a quick announcement that the latest release of the book is now available in PDF. CHM will follow soon. Also Jaime's Spanish translation of the first two chapters will soon be available.

Chapter 10 is now finished and chapter 11 has been expanded.

If you have been following the example application there have been a few small changes to the instruction in chapter 9. These all relate to the keyboard shortcuts some of which were missing. It is ok to ignore these if you wish it wont mess anything up.

The source code is also available and adds code for chapter 10 and 11.

I hope you enjoy.

Sof.T
The home of Sof.T http://www.sof-t.site88.net/
Author of Programming with wxDevC++
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdevcpp-book/
matroblend
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by matroblend »

Just got the latest release of your book an I can't wait to continue learning, mostly chapter 10 Making it Work.

When I first found wxWidgets I misunderstood and thought that it was designed for the non-programmer, that was me. But now understand that it is a RAD tool for programmers.

And yet thanks to your book I started learning wxWidgets and then found other sites that could teach me C++ but your work is a very good foundation to really do something useful using wxwidgets, wx-devcpp and c++.

I don't know if you desire to attract people to want to learn how to program but you have for me.

Thankyou
Some learn by doing others seeing and some not at all
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

matroblend wrote: When I first found wxWidgets I misunderstood and thought that it was designed for the non-programmer, that was me. But now understand that it is a RAD tool for programmers.
No, the RAD in this case is wxDevCpp... wxWidgets is a set of object oriented libraries, mostly for visual components, that you use in your C++ programs, so they compile in multiple platforms and invoke the proper low level APIs, giving native look, feel and behaviour.

The C++ language does not include standard libraries for windows, dialogs, controls, etc. so before wxWidgets, you had to write sepparate code for the visual components (and other parts) if you wanted your program to be multi-platform; or use another toolkit that implements these components on its own (non native components).

wxDevCpp is an IDE wich has a RAD that facilitates the generation of wxWidgets code.
DemonEyesBob
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by DemonEyesBob »

[quote]
Finally I am glad to announce a new release of the book. Chapter 9 has now been completed..."

Thank you very much for adding the section on sizers. I was wondering if you could some how incorporate the examples form http://zetcode.com/tutorials/wxwidgetst ... anagement/ into the sizers part. I tried making the calculator example from the tutorial using the formManager but it just seemed so much easier to actually code it out, and I was wondering if there was something I was missing or some convenient way of doing something along the same lines using the frameDesigner. Also, the form designer doesn't seem to have number of rows as a property for wxGridSizer (I noted this to the wxDev-C++ bug tracker but your sizers section is based on using the formDesigner so just thought I'd tell you). Your book has been very helpful, thanks again for all your work on it.

Cheers,
DEBob
Giulio20000
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

errata corrige

Post by Giulio20000 »

Hello Sof_T,

thanks for your great book.

I have read it back-to-back and tried all code. I have used version 0.7.1 which I think is the most updated.
I didn't download the code but just cut & pasted from the book itself.

Have the comments below. Hope this is helpful.

Ciao,
Giulio

InsertImageDlg.h: edtImageSource(), txtImageSource used instead of edtImageSource
InsertImageDlg.h: edtImageSource(), txtAlternativeText used instead of edtAlternativeText

btnBrowseForImageClick(): WxOpenFileDialog1->ShowModal instead of dlgFileChooser

CreateTableDlg.h: GetColour(). pnlColour used insetad of pnlColor

In the Tdying up section, after modifying the UpdateHTML() you need to mofidy HTMLEditFrm::HTMLEditFrm not HTMLEditFrm::CreateGUIControls
Baldo
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Baldo »

Sof_T wrote:Just a quick announcement...Sof.T
The first three chapters, translated in Italian are ready! Where can I post them?
(MSWord + PDF)

Ciao
Baldo
Baldo
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Baldo »

Sof_T wrote:Just a quick announcement...Sof.T
I have just sent the first EIGHT ( 8 ) chapters of the Italian translation!
(MSWord + PDF)

Ciao
Baldo
sds
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

German translation

Post by sds »

Is there already a German translation of the book? If not, then I would like to translate it.
Last edited by sds on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stefan Schmollack http://schmollack.net/
sds
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Re: German translation

Post by sds »

Sof_T PMed me that there is no German translation of the book yet. So I have started writing one.
Stefan Schmollack http://schmollack.net/
Arhk
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Arhk »

The replies look promising can't wait to get my hands on this now....
~
muhammadje
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by muhammadje »

I am a total newbie to wxWidgets and wxDev-C++.

I am just opening the "Programming with wxDev-C++" pdf. What would help is bookmarks. Other than that, I am happy I have something to start learning from and I hope I can get a project working. I did all my other GUIs in VB6.

Thanks!
mikeeve
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Minor problems I found in book

Post by mikeeve »

If anyone is maintaining this book, this is a great free book for wxDev. However, I've found a couple of minor problems (errata) so far. If I remember, I'll edit this post to add further errata as I find them. Although minor, these problems might be very discouraging to the newbie.

Using the latest wxDev build 7.3.0.6, I found a couple of errata with the book:

1) When using Win 7, attempting to compile the Jackpot example in place yields an access denied error. I fixed this by copying the entire example directory into 'My Documents'. I also changed access to All for my user id.

2) On page 135 of the latest release of the book, the user is told to goto Help/wxWidgets to view the help file. With the current release of wxDev the wxWidgets help file was not installed on my computer. I went to SourceForge and downloaded the help file version 2.8.9 (.CHM in zip format), copied the .chm from the zip to to the devcpp help folder,and then used HELP/Customize help to add it to the help list.

Added 2010/1/25:
3) In section 9, the SizerAlignment example reads:
Finally we want a third box sizer
Add the third box sizer the same way as the last one
Set the properties to the same values except the Oritentation set this to
wxHorizontal
This is somewhat ambiguous, and, of course, I took it the wrong way. I added the third sizer to the second sizer. It would be clearer if the text specified to add the third sizer to the first sizer! (I moved the third sizer with a CUT/PASTE from second sizer to first sizer.)

Added 2010/1/26:
Book refers to changing the 'Component Palette' to 'Toolbar Palette' or 'Toolbar component palette' (pgs 229,230,261, possibly more).As far as I can tell, the toolbar palette and the component palette are now one and the same.
Last edited by mikeeve on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

Actually, on your first point, there's no reason for us to deploy the examples folder inside Program Files. This ain't 1995 anymore, and these folders should go inside the user profile tree (since you create new files inside them when compiling). I'll recommend this to Tony, who is maintaining the installers (among other things).
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

buildere wrote:Actually, on your first point, there's no reason for us to deploy the examples folder inside Program Files. This ain't 1995 anymore, and these folders should go inside the user profile tree (since you create new files inside them when compiling). I'll recommend this to Tony, who is maintaining the installers (among other things).
Yes, the problem with moving the folder is that I am using the Package Manager (PackMan) program to install devpaks of the files. This makes it possible to update components via the webupdate feature.

Ideally, I think it should be is the ProgramData directory. However, the PackMan we use is the hold over from Dev-C++ (circa 2001) and doesn't know about that directory.

I have converted the program to C++/wxWidgets (http://sourceforge.net/projects/packman2/); however, no one has agreed to beta test it for me and so I am hesitant to start using it in our installations. It would be of great help (hint, hint) if I had people willing to help me test (and bug fix) the new packman (again created in C++/wxWidgets!!).

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.