when to expect new dev-cpp?

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
zambizzi
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

when to expect new dev-cpp?

Post by zambizzi » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:18 pm

I just noticed that renaming a file causes a *huge* mess....will this be fixed in the new dev-cpp (6.5) and if so, when can the new version be expected for release?

Thanks!

-v

cg
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by cg » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:36 pm

There is a post from guru that said he was not going to be able to work on it for a few months. 2 I think. I tried searching for the post but couldn't find it.

CG

zambizzi
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by zambizzi » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:08 am

Is it open source software? Is he the only one that works on it? It's a shame it isn't progressing faster, it's potentially a great IDE for wxWidgets and c++ in general.

I wish I was experienced enough to work on it myself, I'd be happy to.

Are there other (free) IDE's for wx out there that are *comparable*. I know there are plenty out there and I've tried many...but most aren't anywhere near the quality of dev-cpp. It was also the only IDE I could find w/ a visual designer.

-v

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:22 am

Hi!
Is it open source software? Is he the only one that works on it?
Yes & yes... The problem is that Dev-C++ (and thus wxDev-C++) is written in Delphi and honestly I don't have a clue about Delphi...
I heard that Guru is looking for a new job, so let's give him some time.
Are there other (free) IDE's for wx out there that are *comparable*.
There are some IDEs, but most of them lack a visual resource editor for wxWidgets. One that has one is http://visualwx.altervista.org/. Never tried the newer version as I didn't like the layout...
http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/ is a nice resource editor only.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

zambizzi
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by zambizzi » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:08 am

upCASE wrote:Hi!
Is it open source software? Is he the only one that works on it?
Yes & yes... The problem is that Dev-C++ (and thus wxDev-C++) is written in Delphi and honestly I don't have a clue about Delphi...
I heard that Guru is looking for a new job, so let's give him some time.
Are there other (free) IDE's for wx out there that are *comparable*.
There are some IDEs, but most of them lack a visual resource editor for wxWidgets. One that has one is http://visualwx.altervista.org/. Never tried the newer version as I didn't like the layout...
http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/ is a nice resource editor only.
Ugh...don't like visualwx. I've tinkered w/ wxglade on linux and I like it quite a bit, I'll have to try it out a little more I suppose.

Thanks!

gururamnath

Re: when to expect new dev-cpp?

Post by gururamnath » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:38 pm

zambizzi wrote:I just noticed that renaming a file causes a *huge* mess....will this be fixed in the new dev-cpp (6.5) and if so, when can the new version be expected for release?
You cannot assume wx-devcpp as the next generation of BCB or Delphi. If you are renaming a file then YOU are responsible of updating the changed name in other files. The Form Designer depends on 2 things 1) Class Name and 2) the File name.

You need to have the Class Name in the Form and in the CPP/H file to be in Sync, otherwise the code generation will get screwed up.

If the cpp and h file names are not same as the form file, then the code generation will be out of sync.

You have to remember couple of things :
1) I am not an expert in compiler tech, and I dont have the technical expertise to write a C++ parser which can automatically be used to sync the code and form data (like BCB).

2)I'm the only one who is working on this project. Although this is a opensource project , I havent got a single line of code (for wx-devcpp form designer) contributed by any one. Since I have to balance my time with my current day job, I cannot dedicate my complete attension to this project (as I'm not getting any money to feed me through this project).

If possible, please can compile a small document about the fixes/tips they get while fixing a problem related with wx-devcpp setup/configuration. I can add them in the webpage and other people can also use those information.

Anyway, FYI , I started to work on the outstanding bugs 2 days back (4 critical bugs are already fixed) and started giving out the interim builds to beta testers. Hope I can start working on this project after couple of weeks (as I'm moving to another state for my new job in the next week) and get settled with the new place.

If you think there is some terrible problems with wx-devcpp, please make sure you put them in the SF's bug reporting page.

-Guru

zambizzi
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: when to expect new dev-cpp?

Post by zambizzi » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:56 pm

gururamnath wrote:
zambizzi wrote:I just noticed that renaming a file causes a *huge* mess....will this be fixed in the new dev-cpp (6.5) and if so, when can the new version be expected for release?
You cannot assume wx-devcpp as the next generation of BCB or Delphi. If you are renaming a file then YOU are responsible of updating the changed name in other files. The Form Designer depends on 2 things 1) Class Name and 2) the File name.

You need to have the Class Name in the Form and in the CPP/H file to be in Sync, otherwise the code generation will get screwed up.

If the cpp and h file names are not same as the form file, then the code generation will be out of sync.

You have to remember couple of things :
1) I am not an expert in compiler tech, and I dont have the technical expertise to write a C++ parser which can automatically be used to sync the code and form data (like BCB).

2)I'm the only one who is working on this project. Although this is a opensource project , I havent got a single line of code (for wx-devcpp form designer) contributed by any one. Since I have to balance my time with my current day job, I cannot dedicate my complete attension to this project (as I'm not getting any money to feed me through this project).

If possible, please can compile a small document about the fixes/tips they get while fixing a problem related with wx-devcpp setup/configuration. I can add them in the webpage and other people can also use those information.

Anyway, FYI , I started to work on the outstanding bugs 2 days back (4 critical bugs are already fixed) and started giving out the interim builds to beta testers. Hope I can start working on this project after couple of weeks (as I'm moving to another state for my new job in the next week) and get settled with the new place.

If you think there is some terrible problems with wx-devcpp, please make sure you put them in the SF's bug reporting page.

-Guru
Fair enough, I'll go through the bug-reporting process, I wanted to first make sure there *was* a bug and that I wasn't just doing something wrong.

I'm amazed there isn't more interest in contributing to this project as it is a *great* IDE and a *great* visual developer, I think you've done a fantastic job, don't get me wrong here!

I'm basing my observations on my prior use with other IDEs such as MS Visual Studio. In VS, when you rename a form, it handles the name-changes for you throughout the related files, which is obviously quite convenient.

I can handle changing them manually, that really isn't a big deal. However, now, when I change the form in the visual designer in any way, it changes some of the names back and breaks things, that is my only real complaint. I'd be happy to submit this as a bug and will do that today.

If I knew anything at all about Delphi I'd be happy to lend a hand. Unfortunately...I couldn't write a line of Delphi if someone held a gun to my head, I have no clue what it even looks like.

I found it kind of strange that there is this fantastic C++ IDE....written in another language! :D I suppose I had expected it to be build w/ C++ and wxWidgets...silly me!

Anyhow, didn't mean to strike a nerve, I really like the work you've done so far. With some polishing, it could be a damn fine C++ visual designer, I would say the best out there!

Good luck w/ the new job!

brandysboguslaw
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by brandysboguslaw » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:31 pm

Update CVS and I hope I can help You with wx-devcpp (becouse I'm using it right now and all those bugs are irritating me) :x

zambizzi
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by zambizzi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:18 pm

brandysboguslaw wrote:Update CVS and I hope I can help You with wx-devcpp (becouse I'm using it right now and all those bugs are irritating me) :x
I noticed on sourceforge, while submitting a but report, that there is a 6.6 beta version available?

gururamnath

Post by gururamnath » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:24 pm

brandysboguslaw: If you know how to set up the SF's CVS for write mode, please let me know. I'll upload the latest code asap. I'll also upload the source to the website and you can have a look at them and send me your patches for your problems.

zambizzi: Those beta 6.6 labels are for the beta testers. Tony has agreed to do the wx-devcpp packaging. I'll be sending him the steps and hopefully we can have a wx-devcpp release by this weekend.

-Guru Kathiresan

brandysboguslaw
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by brandysboguslaw » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:05 pm

Download http://www.tortoisecvs.org/
I saw that Marek had set up CVS for Your project. (I remember this was little pain process)
Tortoise make it very easy - install it !

1. Create some "work" folder when You will save working copy of CVS repository
2.Right-click and choose "CVS checkout"
3. Paste :
ext:[email protected]:/cvsroot/wxdsgn

into CVSROOT field (of course change developername to your SourceForge ID/Login, probably : gururamnath )

in Module field below paste : wxdevcpp (name of module created = UNIX directory on SourceForge server)

4. Click OK, give Your password when required and You will get wxdevcpp CVS write access
5. Merge Your changes : CVS Add,CVS Remove etc
6. CVS commit

All is available throught right-click menu entries.

By the way : all components needed for wxdevcpp (JCL,JVCL Extlib,Thememanager ) are missing from CVS !!!

If You fix CVS maybe I can help (I need good wxWidgets designer ;-)

Regards
Boguslaw Brandys

zambizzi
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by zambizzi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:10 pm

brandysboguslaw wrote:Download http://www.tortoisecvs.org/
I saw that Marek had set up CVS for Your project. (I remember this was little pain process)
Tortoise make it very easy - install it !

1. Create some "work" folder when You will save working copy of CVS repository
2.Right-click and choose "CVS checkout"
3. Paste :
ext:[email protected]:/cvsroot/wxdsgn

into CVSROOT field (of course change developername to your SourceForge ID/Login, probably : gururamnath )

in Module field below paste : wxdevcpp (name of module created = UNIX directory on SourceForge server)

4. Click OK, give Your password when required and You will get wxdevcpp CVS write access
5. Merge Your changes : CVS Add,CVS Remove etc
6. CVS commit

All is available throught right-click menu entries.

By the way : all components needed for wxdevcpp (JCL,JVCL Extlib,Thememanager ) are missing from CVS !!!

If You fix CVS maybe I can help (I need good wxWidgets designer ;-)

Regards
Boguslaw Brandys
I'm using tortoise but can't figure out how to connect anonymously...isn't working so far as: pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/wxdsgn

I've never used CVS before though, so I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid :D

[edit]
I get these errors, BTW:

cvs import: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password

cvs [server aborted]: "import" requires write access to the repository
[/edit]

brandysboguslaw
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by brandysboguslaw » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:19 pm

I'm not CVS wizard, but after I little investigation I can operate on it. Of course non-trivial operations like Branch or Merge branches are out of scope for me.
In CVS there is version 6.2 + snapshot from 10/19/2004, very old I think.Maybe just delete it all and commit Your fresh version .
(using "CVS Delete" and "CVS Add" )

brandysboguslaw
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by brandysboguslaw » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:25 pm

Just read about "Anonymous CVS Access"
at wxdevcpp SourceForge CVS page

Basically You must "Check out" code from CVS repository to Your personal folder - this will be called "worked" copy (becouse You work with it locally)

Just copy : :pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/wxdsgn
into
CVSROOT in Tortoise

and
wxdevcpp
into Module (below)

Regards
Boguslaw

brandysboguslaw
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by brandysboguslaw » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:27 pm

"CVS import" is (if I remember ) for CVS administrator to import code for the first time. Non-admin cannot use that.