wxDev-C++ for Visual C++

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Tue May 09, 2006 10:57 pm

a) did you install the devPak?
b) include path should be C:\Arquivos de programas\wxDev-C++\include

Joel

Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Freddy » Wed May 10, 2006 12:07 am

a) Yes, I installed the full setup, including the devpak
b) I tried it also

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Wed May 10, 2006 12:29 am

will you mind doing the following:

start>run>cmd
cd <wxDev-C++ path>
tree /R /A > wxDev-C++.txt

That should generate a text file with the directory tree structure in the file wxDev-C++.txt. Email me with that file as an attachment, and if you don't mind, your Devcpp.ini file found in %APPDATA%\Dev-Cpp attached as well (so i can verify your include paths and all).

Joel

Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Freddy » Wed May 10, 2006 10:24 pm

I sent you a PM with the files you requested.
Please take a look and tell me how to setup.

Thanks!

If I can't setup it (probably because the libs are for VC++ 2005, and I'm using 2003), I'll have to use the dynamic-linked version (as it compiles faster than mingw) for testing the app at develop time, and compile the final EXE's with mingw to have a standalone EXE static-linked.

Maybe it'll be not that bad, if a use good installers to distribute to pack the EXE.
Maybe the solution is use FLTK for my small projects, use wx-dev-cpp with VC++ dynamic-linked for compiling in middle stage testings (to compile fast), and distribute a final standalone compiled with mingw, or ship the DLL's together.
:lol:

PS: I think it's a bug not related to paths setup: The IDE crashes when I do a "rebuild all" giving lots os screens sayng "Access violation. Send bug report via e-mail."

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Thu May 11, 2006 7:13 am

To be honest, even though you might think it's a waste of productivity, but IMHO the best way to getting anything fixed is to put your mind to it, and only deciding on alternatives when you are in a dead end [and when you do not intend to turn back].

I view this moving over to FLTK thing as a slight pressure to push people (or me, specifically) to help you. We (myself included) aren't required to help anyone, we help people because we like to. Please be appreciative of this.

Maybe I'm just totally paranoid, but it's my honest opinions. I'll look at the code in a bit.
-Joel

Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Freddy » Thu May 11, 2006 3:45 pm

Sorry, I just talk about FLTK because I was (and I am) a FLTK user.
I'm trying to learn wxWidgets, and I think the best IDE for it is wx-Dev-cpp.
So, I'm trying to move my projects to wxWidgets if I can setup it.
I still like FLTK, because it's simple, easy and light. And it comes with Fluid (GUI builder).
But so much people say wxWidgets is great, and I'll be very happy if you can help me setup it to use with wx-Dev-cpp.

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Sun May 21, 2006 4:22 am

I've just uploaded the latest alpha. What's New:

-BUGFIX: VC compilers now allow you to compile with a project (with no warnings, if you configured the compiler correctly)
-FEATURE: Migrated to JVCL 3.20/JCL 1.97
-FEATURE: Added win32 api devpak download from within the installer
-FEATURE: Added wxWidgets Debug DLL DevPak
-FEATURE: Updated Static library/DLL release DevPaks.

Freddy: I'm back on working on your problem.

Thanks,
Joel

badphoenix
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

RC1015: cannot open include file 'windows.h'

Post by badphoenix » Mon May 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Dear Joel,

i test your new package with vc2005 express compiler, i test some settings i found on wxforum, but i alway have an error "RC1015: cannot open include file 'windows.h'" maybe some one can help me ? i dont know much about wxdev, i am at the beginning with programming c.

sorry for my bad englisch.

best regards
badphoenix

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Tue May 23, 2006 10:09 am

Go to compiler options > Directories > Resource includes, add the Platform SDK's include path.

badphoenix
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by badphoenix » Tue May 23, 2006 11:04 am

When i add the include path i got some link errors :(

Project6Dlg.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall wxWindow::ShowBalloon(class wxString,class wxString,int)" ([email protected][email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected])
Project6.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Tue May 23, 2006 11:25 am

Argh, that was what I was worried when I released my own DLLs because I have some untested code in there. Try building your own DLL and link that, or try to seee what you can do with the source code.

I'm assing you are using the Release static library?

badphoenix
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by badphoenix » Tue May 23, 2006 1:22 pm

my own DLLs also down work correctly with wxdev, under vc 2005 express the work. also wxdev with vc 2003 toolkit works correctly, but not with 2005 express :(

but my c programming c knowledge limited, because i

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Tue May 23, 2006 2:07 pm

i think it would help if you told me the error and not expect me to mind-read what error you are getting...? :roll:

Opeth
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Opeth » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:25 am

well done! I have been waiting for using VC compiler for long.

I have a question: I have VS.NET 2003 installed, do I still need to download VC++ Toolkit and Microsoft Platform SDK in your Visual C++ Environment Setup? (They are not detected) I ask because the Microsoft Platform SDK is rather big (1GB).

By the way, I can't download Visual C++ Toolkit with your Visual C++ Environment Setup: "Execution of command [temp file path] failed (Error 193: unknown error c1)"

Thanks!

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:31 am

If you have VS .NET 2003 (I'm not too rich so I can only comment on the free toolkits) you can go put the %program files%\%MSVS 2003\Vc7\bin directory to let wxDev-C++ find cl and link, then IIRC there's a built in platform SDK in VS 2003 as well, find that directory, and also find the directory containing the VC include files, then add both to the compiler options' binary and include path (that will be in tools > compiler options).

I hope you like this feature :)
Joel