when wxform size is bigger than your screen resolution....

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
skyro
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

when wxform size is bigger than your screen resolution....

Post by skyro »

Hi, I'm developing a GUI which is a bit bigger than the IDE with wxDevcpp i.e. ( making a 1024*768 gui on a 1024*768 screen)

I developed this gui on a machine with 1280*1024 which is fine because I can see the entire 1024*768 form on the screen but when I move to a machine with 1024*768 the gui is now too big and there doesn't seem to be scroll bars for me to navigate to the parts which are now hidden by the bar... is there some sort of settings I'm missing or is it a missing feature?...

Thanks.

I'd also like to ask whether there is a way of tracking the latest CVS build date as it seems the only way to get the latest build is from Ninja's direct link to the file.

----

this is with 6.9 beta by the way
ding
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by ding »

Did u mean during design or runtime? If u are meaning runtime then at wxform framestyle>, then check wxresizeborder = true, then it will probably resize border to your liking. Hope it help
skyro
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by skyro »

ding wrote:Did u mean during design or runtime? If u are meaning runtime then at wxform framestyle>, then check wxresizeborder = true, then it will probably resize border to your liking. Hope it help
I meant design time. I don't mean to critise but for an IDE to be without the essential tool of scrolling to see the form in the designer is a bit of a suprise. Now I have to stick to developing on a 1280*1024 machine (which means I can't use my laptop and I can't work away from home :cry: )

Hope this can be implemented into a cvs soon? :wink:
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

yea, that's one of our most wanted feature... we are looking into it, but we are currently on a bug month... so we will fix those before implementing new stuff.
ding
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by ding »

Can try changing height of frame on properties, just thought of that
PhoenixPl
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by PhoenixPl »

I had the same problem with DevCpp. You can try to use sizer. It will help to develope your GUI on small form and of course it will be automatically sized to your desired size.

Also there is another solution. Since I was not able to work with scrollbars on the designer screen I've started to use VisualWx http://visualwx.altervista.org/ to generate GUI for large frames. And they have couple of good futures also.

Let's hope that DevCpp will fix designer screen problem and we'll be able to once more return to it.
alancan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by alancan »

I know this is 4 years later, but any change in this? I can change the behaviour to floating and that will allow the form designer to be slightly larger, but still no scrolling?

(using wxDev C++ Build version 7.3.1.3)

Cheers!
Taamalus
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Taamalus »

alancan wrote:I know this is 4 years later, but any change in this? I can change the behaviour to floating and that will allow the form designer to be slightly larger, but still no scrolling?

(using wxDev C++ Build version 7.3.1.3)

Cheers!
Bluntly, No! Even when everything else is removed - no scroll-bars.

If you need the scroll-bars; try Code::Blocks. There the frame design window has scroll bars, but it lacks other features.

They're technically competition, but I'm biased, so ... :wink:

Welcome anyway !!!!! :D
... time waits for no one
Hank
alancan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by alancan »

Thank you much for your response.

I will likely just code the window manually, as I am down to the wire on my project and this was just supposed to be an easy reporting freame... but I will keep Code::Blocks in mind for the future.

To be honest I believe what I was really looking for was the scrolling window. I come from a web app background and as my first major GUI project in C++, I think my brain is still stuck between both worlds.

Thank you for your help.
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

Just for the record, we have actually tried many times to fix this problem, and while it may seem a simple thing, the fact of the matter is that the delphi component we are using for the designer stuff just didn't work when we added the scrollbars. The best solution we could come up with was the floating window stuff.

One of the reasons a C++ start over (http://wxdevide.sourceforge.net/) is a must.