Dev-cpp Help Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Peterj
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Dev-cpp Help

Post by Peterj »

Is there anyone working on the wxDev-cpp help system? It is part of the product that has a few holes that doesn't help beginners. I would be willing to spend some time on it if someone can answer questions, and point me in the right direction.

1) View Menu / Todo list. It looks great, but how do you get text into it?

2) Execute / Program Reset - I've had to use it a couple of times, but have no understanding as to why I have needed to use it - ie what does it do?

3) Is this a stuff up in my system or a bug - View menu / floating Project Manager - causes the error:
exception class : EAccessViolation
exception message : Access violation at address 0046772C in module 'devcpp.exe'. Read of address 00000008.
(running 4.9.9.2 beta on WinXp)

Regards,

Peter
Using Win XP, Dev C++ 4.9.9.2 wx-beta 6.9
NinjaNL

Re: Dev-cpp Help

Post by NinjaNL »

Peterj wrote:Is there anyone working on the wxDev-cpp help system? It is part of the product that has a few holes that doesn't help beginners. I would be willing to spend some time on it if someone can answer questions, and point me in the right direction.
Errr.... No. As far as I know none of the development team is working on improving the help. I was looking to implement HTML help (and can add the code to do it to CVS) except that the greatest strength of the HTML help system is destroyed by a bug in the help system itself. It is impossible (as far as I know) to make the html help search for an item. A serious drawback. What could be done is create a better wxWidgets help file with an index that refers to all functions within all classes of wxWidgets, so that selecting text and pressing F1 has a far better chance of returnig a correct result than is currently the case. I'll help as much as I can, but be aware that this might not be a trivial undertaking.
Peterj wrote:1) View Menu / Todo list. It looks great, but how do you get text into it?
That's a good one. Since this is a part of the vanilla DevCpp code I haven't got a clue. :D

Actually, right click on an open file tab, and select Add To-do Item... Shift+Ctrl+T, a new dialog opens and you enter your info there.
Peterj wrote:2) Execute / Program Reset - I've had to use it a couple of times, but have no understanding as to why I have needed to use it - ie what does it do?
I use it for when the program I am developing seems to be locked up. Program reset stops the currently compiled and running program, and returns control to the IDE.
Peterj wrote:3) Is this a stuff up in my system or a bug - View menu / floating Project Manager - causes the error:
exception class : EAccessViolation
exception message : Access violation at address 0046772C in module 'devcpp.exe'. Read of address 00000008.
(running 4.9.9.2 beta on WinXp)
This is a bug and should be reported, although it is actually a vanilla DevCpp bug, so we might not get around to fixing it ourselves, but will pass it on to the DevCpp group.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
Peterj
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peterj »

Hi Ninja,

Todo list - thanks for that, I wasn't even aware of the options available under the file tab - right click. It looks good!

Program reset - The times I have used it, the program appeared to have been closed - I guess it can't have been.

Dev-cpp help - what do you suggest as the next step?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Peter
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

Peterj wrote:Dev-cpp help - what do you suggest as the next step?
I would suggest downloading the html help documentation, and then doing whatever needs to be done to it to ensure that all funcltions from all classes are in the index, Then I can add my changes to wxDevCpp to allow HTML help.

This solution means that the search function would not need to be used unless there was no function found in the help file. With your changes then this won't happen, and would make implementing HTML help actually meaningful.

HTH, I am eager to see your results.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
Peterj
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peterj »

Hi Ninja,

Ok you've lost me at this point.

Download which HTML help files from where?

>doing whatever needs to be done to it to ensure that all funcltions from all classes are in the index

Are you talking of the wxWidgets help or wxDev-cpp help?

My thoughts were along the lines of trying to fill in some of the gaping gaps in the Dev-cpp help. ie along the lines of simple stuff like the todo list. Yes, I have come across the holes in the wxWidgets help as well, but at this stage I'm way too green to be able to add anything constructive - perhaps in another year or two.

Regards,

Peter
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Peter,

I think Bleu Raeder is currently writing a manual for wx-devcpp. You might want to see if you guys could work together.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

Peterj wrote:Hi Ninja,

Ok you've lost me at this point.

Download which HTML help files from where?
Sorry, that's what happens when you are trying to do too many things at once - I misunderstood you. I meant the wxWidgets HTML help files. YOU meant the DevCpp help file which comes with both DevCpp and wxDevCpp. However the point remains the same. You have to download the files which are used to create the help file, you need to edit the files to add your changes and then you need to recompile them into a help file.
Peterj wrote:>doing whatever needs to be done to it to ensure that all funcltions from all classes are in the index

Are you talking of the wxWidgets help or wxDev-cpp help?
Again, I was talking about the wxWidgets HTML help file which also comes with the wxDevCpp distribution.
Peterj wrote:My thoughts were along the lines of trying to fill in some of the gaping gaps in the Dev-cpp help. ie along the lines of simple stuff like the todo list. Yes, I have come across the holes in the wxWidgets help as well, but at this stage I'm way too green to be able to add anything constructive - perhaps in another year or two.

Regards,

Peter
This would be very welcome, not only for the wxDevCpp project, but also for the vanilla DevCpp development.

I am not too sure, but the files for the DevCpp help are probably here http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/dev-cpp/V5/Help/

You might want to take a look at them, and make any changes to the files you see fit. If necessary, I'll help you with creating the new help file. If you add your changes, or improve it in any way, I would suggest you contact the developers of vanilla DevCpp too to share your changes with them.
Peterj
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peterj »

Hi Tony + Ninja,

You both need to be congratulated on your enthuisiasm!

Contributing to the Dev-cpp book? I must admit I hadn't really thought about it, but will follow it up.

I have downloaded the Dev-cpp help files, so will see what I can add. You may well get a few messages asking for explanations though!

Thanks for your replies,

Regards,

Peter
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

I have downloaded the Dev-cpp help files, so will see what I can add. You may well get a few messages asking for explanations though!
Looking forward to your questions. We always appreciate those that can help with documentation. Good docs really move a project from good to great.

Thanks in advance.
-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

Peterj wrote:You may well get a few messages asking for explanations though!
Why don't you join the developers mailing list? You might also want to join the vanilla DevCpp list too, since the members there will probably be able to answer lots of your questions too.