wxUSE_TEXTCTRL Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Wraithan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxUSE_TEXTCTRL

Post by Wraithan »

Hello,

I am rather new to GUI programming and chose wxWidgets to be the medium I want to try. I am having a hard time figuring out the wxUSE stuff. Someone suggested that I looked into my headers, and I noticed that textctrl.h is not where the documentation on http://www.wxwindows.org/manuals/2.6.2/ ... wxtextctrl says it should be. Could someone let me know if I either have a bad installation, or if that file was renamed?

Thanks,
~Wraith
Wraithan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Wraithan »

Well, looking at options, i see I can add the includes from the wxWidgets directory from installing that, so that is what I am going to do. Still if someone has a guide to #if wxUSE_ stuff, that would be most helpful.
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

Are you using wxDevCpp or DevCpp? If wxDevCpp, then you don't need to worry about wxUSE_ stuff since the wxWidgets library is already built for you.

Simply create a new wxFrame or wxDialog project, then use the form designer to add components to your form as desired.

If you are using DevCpp and don't have a wxWidgets library installed then you could always build your own. for information take a look here

If that doesn't answer your question, then I suggest you examine the contents of your setup0.h file. Yu should see lots of USE_ definitions there.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
Wraithan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Wraithan »

I just discovered the wxDev-Cpp, I was installing and updating it right as you posted. So we will see how well I do with it. Thanks though. I was trying to do with with Dev-Cpp, I had looked in the setup0.h file and couldn't find what I was looking for, I eventually found it in the textctrl.h in my wxwidgets/includes but even then, it was hard for me to understand. I just need more experience with C++, hopefully wxDev-Cpp will let me learn a lot more. :D
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

If you have any questions relating to wxDevCpp then this is the forum for them.

There are others more suited to pure c++ questions.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
Wraithan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Wraithan »

They directed me here when I said I used dev-Cpp lol.

I am trying to follow the tutorial on the site where i found wxdev-cpp and I am finding they are for an old version 6.4 and i downloaded 6.8... Is there any tutorials for this version?

And when I try to compile the base project that it pops up with if I choose the wxWidgets under GUI Toolkits, it throws an error saying no resource file, is it supposed to do that?
Wraithan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Wraithan »

Well, I have no clue as to how wxDev-Cpp works, and the documention i have been able to locate so far, has been useless. If someone could point me to the real documentation and tutorial, that would be nice, since everything is for old version. I can't make the project compile when it is fresh, any of the wxWidgets ones, the dialog and frame ones are empty and the gui toolkit one needs some resource file that I dont know how to make.
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

OK, try this

Open wxDevCpp

File - New - Project...
select New wxFrame
Press enter, select somewhere to save the project
Once the project is opened, press F9 ()compile and run)
All things being well, your program should compile and run errorfree.

If so come back and tell us, I'll tell you the next steps once I know your installation is correct.

If not, come back with the errors.
Wraithan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Wraithan »

Well, I discovered, you can't have Dev-Cpp installed in a different directory and try and install wxDev-Cpp, it breaks both installation. I got what you suggest to work.

Thank you
~Wraith
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

OK, you should now be able to follow the rest of the tutorial, more or less.
Wraithan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Wraithan »

Well, now, if I do anything beyond the original project, I end up with a locked up Dev-C++ window if I try to compile and run the project...

EDIT: Ok, I reloaded the program, it had saved all my changes, now I hit rebuild all, then I hit run, and it says source not compiled, and if I hit the compile and run button i get the window without my changes...

EDIT2:If I change anything after reloading the project, it locks up again, the menubar goes white on Dev-cpp... as far as I can tell the program is not functional (even after leaving it for several minutes.

EDIT3: It seems that it is in an non-terminating loop, because it is sucking up 90-95% of my CPU still...

EDIT4: 30 mins later, still sucking 90-95% of my CPU, no change in program. I followed the guide exactly to add in the statusbar.
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

Are you using vanilla devcpp or the new and improved wxDevCpp?
Wraithan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Wraithan »

wxDev-Cpp, I am currently not on that machine though, and I don't want to mess up my Dev-Cpp on my laptop so I am not going to mess with it till tmr when I get back to my desktop (I left wxDev-Cpp running, since it was trying to do something). I am going to report the bug when I get back to that machine to the bug reporting site.

And if this is how well this program is going to run, I may have to switch back to hand coding, that is what I prefer, just that most of the guides are outdated and don't work.
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

hm, yes, we are trying to get our memory cleaned up properly, AFAIK (wx)devcpp leaks memory like a tap that wont close :roll: devcpp sometimes uses up hundreds of megs of ram, just by opening a form...

tonys looking into it, right tony? ;)