My neverending problem with wxWidgets and (wx)DevCpp

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Pierro le Fou
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

My neverending problem with wxWidgets and (wx)DevCpp

Post by Pierro le Fou »

Hi,

I tried wxDevCpp and ... it doesn
Sorry for my bad English but I
gururamnath
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: My neverending problem with wxWidgets and (wx)DevCpp

Post by gururamnath »

Can you please send me the project files ? I'll have a look at it.

-Guru Kathiresan
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

[quote="Pierro le Fou"]Hi,

I tried wxDevCpp and ... it doesn
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
gururamnath
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by gururamnath »

NinjaNL wrote:
Pierro le Fou wrote:Another question is:
Why is wxDevCpp only compiling when I clicked on my .cpp-tab ,
if I click on .h-tab it opens that compile window but nothing happens only displays 'rebuilding'.
That ones for you Guru.
I guess it is understandable that you cannot ( individually )compile .H files. Only .C* files can be compiled ( individually ) to .o file.

-Guru Kathiresan
gururamnath
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by gururamnath »

I think I know what is the problem with your compilation(I saw the log you posted in another site). Instead of creating a project and adding a new dialog or frame, you seems to just create a dialog using the New->New Dialog option and tried compiling the code (without creating a new wx project). If you do this, you need to set the proper linker options etc. Try to create a wx project and then try add a dialog.

-Guru Kathiresan
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

gururamnath wrote: I guess it is understandable that you cannot ( individually )compile .H files. Only .C* files can be compiled ( individually ) to .o file.

-Guru Kathiresan
But in the newer version of the gnu compiler being used, it is possible to create precompiled headers. This would indicate to me that it should be possible to compile header files, or am I basically just way off here. (everythings possible - I haven't had any coffee yet)
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
Pierro le Fou
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Pierro le Fou »

Thank you guys. It works fine.

It
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

[quote="Pierro le Fou"]I just have one question, its non-topic-related, was my english understandable? or did you have had problems understanding me. I
Pierro le Fou
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Pierro le Fou »

That
Pierro le Fou
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Pierro le Fou »

Back again.

Now that wxDev is working. Looked at some tutorials, but they are so different (like http://halfsane.net/tutorials/index.php ... /1&cat=cpp), not really getting how to learn wxWidgets on that. Got some advices?
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

So what do you want to know how to do?

If you could be a little more specific in your request I may be able to help.
metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic »

Pierro le Fou wrote:not really getting how to learn wxWidgets on that. Got some advices?
Pierro,
I also started with wxWidgets recently. My advice would be to peruse the samples directory. Start with the minimal app then start looking at whatever projects look the closest to what you are trying to achieve.

That's how I learned and it worked out great. I used the toolbar sample as it resembled what I needed.

Considering I'm not even a C++ coder, it was relatively painless.

Whatever questions you still have, first search on http://groups.google.com and if you don't find your answer, post questions on this forum.

Also, I would recommend you give wxDevCpp and/or DialogBlocks a try as they ease the work of creating a UI immensely. Especially where sizers are involved.

Good luck!

- Santiago
Pierro le Fou
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Pierro le Fou »

The first thing I worried about was. Why are there so many tabs. And what are they good for.? 2x *.h 2x *.Cpp?

And where can I find sample code? I mean written in wxWidgets. So I can learn from that code?
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

Pierro le Fou wrote:The first thing I worried about was. Why are there so many tabs. And what are they good for.? 2x *.h 2x *.Cpp?
Good programming practice. Check out what the files under the tabs are. Each pair of files (I assume you are working with wxDevCpp here) relate to (in the case of the *App.* files) the program itself. You will note that these are the basic commands necessary to create and run a wxwidgets based program. The other (*Frame.* - or is it *Form.* I cannot remember at the moment, probably too much wine) are for how the form is created (the extra *.form file) and contain the source code created by the form designer.
Pierro le Fou wrote:And where can I find sample code? I mean written in wxWidgets. So I can learn from that code?
You have to download the wxwidgets source and install it on your computer. There is then a folder <install folder>\samples which contains examples of just about anything you can do with wxwidgets.
Zui
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Zui »

Hi,
similar story to Pierro's.
1) I installed it
2) made that Linker-Chache
3) Start wxDevCpp
.... and here i tried the windows examples ...
4)all compiled well and runned perfecto!
.... then i wanna try the wxWigs....
5) no project *.dev file here: so i try with some .cpp from the 2
wxsamples found (one in dev-cpp\wx\samples\ and the other in dev-cpp\wx\contrib\samples\) but no success then...
6) the raw and long (i thought) way thru:
..6a) create project
..6b) select wxWidgets Frame (dialog the same anyway)
..6c) build/compile in order to run (F9) -got to save all and answer lots of questions-
..6d) timer - silence - and ERROR! Gasp! i'm down!

any soul around to lighten the way?
i can feed the log provided by the compiler for further info:
it substancially sticks to:
"newProgramFrame.cpp:27:27: myFrame_XPM.xpm: No such file or directory"
i didn't add any control yet just compile...
anyhelp appreciated and...merry Xmas, emm... no, Happy New Year!!
THX
Zui