C++11 compatible wxDev version?

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

C++11 compatible wxDev version?

Post by gtafan »

Is there a wxDev-C++ version compatible with C++11? Have been searching for such version for month. The version, I found unfortunatelly doesn´t suport C++11.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: C++11 compatible wxDev version?

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
I don't think you will find something like this?
wxDev is not developed anymore - we have MinGW and MSVC available - both are free versions.

Thank you.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

So there is no other wxWidget plugin for DevC++?really like the WxDev plugin, but the only problem is its C++11 incompatibility, making it useles for my purpuse.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
What is you OS?

Thank you.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

My OS is Windows, forgot to mention it, because thought there is no Linux version of DevCpp.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Why not get the free version of MSVC? Or get MinGW + CodeBlocks?

IIRC, MSVC 2017 supports C++14.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

MSVC 2017 is the bigest peace of sh*t, specially the free version, but even the profesional one is not much beter, it reqires net frameworck and some other additional stuff to execute the applications made with it. I also want my tool s to worck on XP, so MSVC is 100% nogo.
I tried CodeBlocks, but making it worck with WxWidgets is imposible for a normal programmer like me. With normal I meaned somebody whois not a good of Linux programming and shel scripts. May be normal is wrong word in this context and I really dont want to anoy anibody with that.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
MSVC 2017 is the bigest peace of sh*t, specially the free version, but even the profesional one is not much beter, it reqires net frameworck and some other additional stuff to execute the applications made with it. I also want my tool s to worck on XP, so MSVC is 100% nogo.
Well I have MSVC 2008 Express installed on XP.
I don't know if it still available though.
I tried CodeBlocks, but making it worck with WxWidgets is imposible for a normal programmer like me. With normal I meaned somebody whois not a good of Linux programming and shel scripts. May be normal is wrong word in this context and I really dont want to anoy anibody with that.
Just curious - what step in the process you found hard?

Thank you.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

Don´t think, that the old MSVC version is stil avaible and even if it is there are other problems, I mentioned.
The problem with codeblocks is building WxWidgets with that anoing comandline and even after doing that it´s not worcking.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I haven't used VS2017 yet, but i find that hard to believe. Until VS2015 applications built with it definitely don't need .NET and if you select the proper toolset you can create executables that still work on XP.
Use the source, Luke!
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

gtafan wrote:I tried CodeBlocks, but making it worck with WxWidgets is imposible for a normal programmer like me. With normal I meaned somebody whois not a good of Linux programming and shel scripts. May be normal is wrong word in this context and I really dont want to anoy anibody with that.
Sorry, that's not true. Code::Blocks has actually direct support for wxWidgets and besides that, for me it was extremely easy to setup a wxWidgets project with it. I have never used Linux or other such OS. A normal (aspiring?) C++ programmer should not have any problems with C:B (nor any other decent C++ IDE) and wxWidgets. OTOH, if a person cannot even produce a simple command line based on a very clear instructions provided... Even non-programmers such as myself can do that.

Having said that, as a Windows only person, aside from experimenting with other IDEs, I have been using MSVC exclusively, currently VS 2015 Express for Desktop. None of the things you wrote about MSVC 2017 apply to it. I have not used MSVC 2017, heard that it it may not be in a fully usable state yet and it seems MS also abandoned Express for 2017 and will provide only Community version instead.

Just curious gtafan, what is your background, i.e., which C++ compilers (IDEs, RADs) and toolkits (Qt?) etc. have you been using till now?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

To answer the op question: current wxDev-C++ version seems to be C++11 compatible. I was able to create, compile, link, and run this small application with version 7.4.2.569:

Code: Select all

#include <wx/wx.h>
#include <vector>

class MyFrame : public wxFrame
{
public:
    MyFrame() : wxFrame(NULL, wxID_ANY, "Test", wxDefaultPosition, wxSize(500,500))
    {                
        wxTextCtrl* textCtrl = new wxTextCtrl(this, wxID_ANY, wxEmptyString, wxDefaultPosition, wxDefaultSize, wxTE_MULTILINE | wxTE_READONLY);        

std::vector<int> v = {1,2,3,4,5};        
        for  ( auto const i : v )
            (*textCtrl) << i << "\n";
    }
};

class MyApp : public wxApp
{
public:	
	bool OnInit()
	{
        (new MyFrame)->Show();
        return true;
	}
}; wxIMPLEMENT_APP(MyApp);
I have never used wxDev-C++ before, so I downloaded the installer from the SourceForge. I set it to use MinGW 5.3 I already had. Then I created a small Win32 GUI project. I then set up the directories fo wxWidgets (GIT version I already had and compiled with MinGW 5.3 in gnu++11 mode) and my MinGW, added the required libraries and defines, "-std=gnu++11" to the compiler parameters and that was it.

Edit
I could also create and use a wxWidgets project created by wxDev-C++ and use its RAD tool, still with my wxWidgets and my MinGW. It was very easy to tell wxDev-C++ to use these instead of those bundled with it.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

PB wrote:To answer the op question: current wxDev-C++ version seems to be C++11 compatible. I was able to create, compile, link, and run this small application with version 7.4.2.569:

Code: Select all

#include <wx/wx.h>
#include <vector>

class MyFrame : public wxFrame
{
public:
    MyFrame() : wxFrame(NULL, wxID_ANY, "Test", wxDefaultPosition, wxSize(500,500))
    {                
        wxTextCtrl* textCtrl = new wxTextCtrl(this, wxID_ANY, wxEmptyString, wxDefaultPosition, wxDefaultSize, wxTE_MULTILINE | wxTE_READONLY);        

std::vector<int> v = {1,2,3,4,5};        
        for  ( auto const i : v )
            (*textCtrl) << i << "\n";
    }
};

class MyApp : public wxApp
{
public:	
	bool OnInit()
	{
        (new MyFrame)->Show();
        return true;
	}
}; wxIMPLEMENT_APP(MyApp);
I have never used wxDev-C++ before, so I downloaded the installer from the SourceForge. I set it to use MinGW 5.3 I already had. Then I created a small Win32 GUI project. I then set up the directories fo wxWidgets (GIT version I already had and compiled with MinGW 5.3 in gnu++11 mode) and my MinGW, added the required libraries and defines, "-std=gnu++11" to the compiler parameters and that was it.

Edit
I could also create and use a wxWidgets project created by wxDev-C++ and use its RAD tool, still with my wxWidgets and my MinGW. It was very easy to tell wxDev-C++ to use these instead of those bundled with it.
OK, strange have downloaded version 7.4.2.569, but as Last modified there I read Jun 4, 2012, so it seems to be really old and the gcc version seems to be more than outdated.
However I have a devCpp version with mingW 4.8, that suports C++11. Which dev packs do I need to make it worck with wxWidget fine?
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

PB wrote:
gtafan wrote:I tried CodeBlocks, but making it worck with WxWidgets is imposible for a normal programmer like me. With normal I meaned somebody whois not a good of Linux programming and shel scripts. May be normal is wrong word in this context and I really dont want to anoy anibody with that.
Sorry, that's not true. Code::Blocks has actually direct support for wxWidgets and besides that, for me it was extremely easy to setup a wxWidgets project with it. I have never used Linux or other such OS. A normal (aspiring?) C++ programmer should not have any problems with C:B (nor any other decent C++ IDE) and wxWidgets. OTOH, if a person cannot even produce a simple command line based on a very clear instructions provided... Even non-programmers such as myself can do that.

Having said that, as a Windows only person, aside from experimenting with other IDEs, I have been using MSVC exclusively, currently VS 2015 Express for Desktop. None of the things you wrote about MSVC 2017 apply to it. I have not used MSVC 2017, heard that it it may not be in a fully usable state yet and it seems MS also abandoned Express for 2017 and will provide only Community version instead.

Just curious gtafan, what is your background, i.e., which C++ compilers (IDEs, RADs) and toolkits (Qt?) etc. have you been using till now?
So my favorite IDE for C++ is DevCpp, but I have also worcked with eclipse and CDT plugin, VS 2003, 2005 and 2008, so wen I was tallking about MSVC I didnt meaned 2017 but in general, even have worcked with a simple KATE editor where I had to compile using comandline, so I have experiance with using comandline.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

As I wrote above, I did not use a wxPack or MinGW bundled with Dev-C++, I told Dev-C++ to use my wxWidgets and compiler. I therefore have no idea which wxPack (if any) is compiled in C++11 mode. You could just do do what I did.

Better yet, find another, still supported, IDE. For example, I have never used wxDev-C++ so I was surprised it does not support having multiple build configurations per project (Debug/Release/32-bit/64-bit...). I thought such a feature was a must, I know MSVC had it at least since 1998. But I might have overlooked it, all I wanted to do was to test if it is possible to use it for C++11 development.