Upgrade wxWidgets

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
DMW
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Upgrade wxWidgets

Post by DMW »

Hello eveyone :D

I'm new to wxDev-C++ and this forum so please bear with me.

I want to replace the version 2.9 with 3.0 of the wxWidgets Library.

When searching the forum I found this: http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1764

However, since it's 9 years ago it was first published I guess it may need to be updated.

When running the BAT-file with the following content:

Code: Select all

set WXWIN=c:\wxWidgets
set path=c:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp\MinGW32\bin;%path%

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release MONOLITHIC=1 USE_OPENGL=1 RUNTIME_LIBS=static USE_RTTI=0 USE_EXCEPTIONS=1

pause
Gives an error message saying that makefile.gcc: No such file or directory exist.

Of course, makefile.gcc does not exist.

Please help me to get the correct syntax.

TIA,
Dennis
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Upgrade wxWidgets

Post by PB »

Try adding the following line to your batch file, before executing mingw32-make

cd %WXWIN%\build\MSW
But that should be like that regardless of wxWidgets version, perhaps you you used to execute the batch file from the %WXWIN%\build\MSW folder (where the makefiles reside) before and now you are not?
DMW
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by DMW »

Perfect!

As I write these line it's up and running now (time for a coffee break)

tbreina

Post by tbreina »

We had always considered creating some sort of simple GUI in wxWidgets which would download the latest wxWidgets, detect which compiler sets were active, and auto-build the devpaks.

Never got around with working on it, but it might be a nice project for someone wanting a challenge.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
DMW
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by DMW »

That would be an interesting project. I'm not in the position to do it myself as I'm still a newbie.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

DMW wrote:That would be an interesting project. I'm not in the position to do it myself as I'm still a newbie.
I started out in the project by improving the NSIS installer package. Not terribly difficult, but really useful to others. From there I gradually moved up to bug fixes and then feature enhancements. You'd be amazing how addictive (and rewarding) it can get if you give it a go.

The project I am suggesting is making a simple GUI to mimic the shell commands you've already gone through to produce the new devpak. So it's more about just setting up wxWidgets checkboxes and dropdown boxes, then using wxExecute (http://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/group_ ... 1b73399b33) to call the compilers and packmaker.

I'm sure you have more time commitments than this project will allow, but it's definitely a good newbie project (and will get you a lot of geek points in the community).

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
adrian_c
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by adrian_c »

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to do the same thing, updating wxDev-C++ to the latest wxWidgets version, which is now 3.0.1. I'm having problems so please help.
I've also followed the instructions from the link provided above, with full success. I compiled and generated those libraries and copied them in my installation directory (which is "C:\wxDev-Cpp\lib\wx\gcc_lib" for me).

I've copied all the .h files from the wxWidgets archive, folder "include" into the installation directory (which for me is "C:\wxDev-Cpp\include\common").

I have managed to solve a problem with my code not compiling due to need to have some definitions like "wxUSE_COMPILER_TLS", it was a problem caused by some "setup.h" files not being there with the right name.

Anyway, sadly, if i compile a small program that worked before, i get some errors like

#error "wxUSE_ACTIVEX must be defined."
#error "wxUSE_CRASHREPORT must be defined."
#error "wxUSE_DC_CACHEING must be defined"
... and many more like these, including something like <<#error "wxMediaCtl requires wxActiveXContainer">> and <<#error "wxRearrangeCtrl requires wxCheckListBox">>

Even if i #define them all in the beginning of my "...App.h" header, i still can't compile.
I'm pretty sure i did something wrong, so please, tell us all what is the best method of updating the wxWidgets to the latest version, for wxDevC++. Or at least, how do i solve my problem above.

Thank you verry much.

P.S.: isn't it possible for the authors of wxDev to make a new installer once every 6 months or so, when something new comes up in MinGW or wxWidgets, so that we don't have to go thru all this ? I see the last version is from 2 years ago, which is a lot.
Again, i would do it myself, if i had all the proper instructions.
adrian_c
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by adrian_c »

Nevermind, i've figured that out.
I needed to copy the wx/msw/setup.h file to wx/setup.h

I will write later a new thread about how to upgrade wxDev via some DevPaks i've made.