wx-devcpp weekly news, 21 aug 2005

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
tbreina

wx-devcpp weekly news, 21 aug 2005

Post by tbreina »

I've been on vacation this week so the weekly wx-devcpp news is a bit tardy. Never fear though-- we've picked up Joel Low (lowjoel) as a new developer in the project! Among other things, Joel is working on adding native MS VC++ compiler support to the IDE. It should make a nice alternative to using gcc-- faster compile times and smaller executables.

Note: If you want to submit a new bug or feature request, don't post here, but instead go to the bug tracker at: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_ ... tid=611982

21 August 2005

Bugfixes
  • 1. Del button - (Tony, 18 Jul 2005) Delete button wasn't correctly working in code editor if no text was selected. https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=611982

2. wxTextCtrl borders - (Tony, 18 Jul 2005) The bsNone flag was set and shouldn't have been. Now border shows up around wxTextCtrl. https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=611982

3. %DEV_CPP% macro - (Tony 18 Jul 2005) %DEV_CPP% macro was pointing to the user default directory. Now points to the directory where devcpp.exe resides. This should allow users to change the default user directory.

4. Memory leaks - (Tony 20 Jul 2005) I've cleaned up quite a few memory leaks in the existing source (many left behind by my own sloppiness).
    • a. TStringList - DesignerFrm.pas, line 376, strLstManualCode was created and then assigned to the result of a function. This led to two memory heap allocations.
      b. TStringList - AutoDestroy in most wx components didn't include a destroy command for the Wx_Comments variable (and occassionally a few others).
    5. Static bitmaps - The transparency was always set to true and the bitmap was being clipped to 180x180 pixels. Not sure why this was done, but I've commented out that code for now to see if it solves some of our bitmap problems.
New features:
  • 1. NinjaNL has added wxChoice and wxToggleButton to the project. In addition to the latest devcpp.exe, you'll also need the devcpp.pallete file to add the new components to your controls panel.

2. Arrow keys will now move components around on the design form. Press Ctrl and the appropriate arrow key. It's still a bit buggy in that the project window also moves focus when you press the arrow key. More work needed on this feature.

3. XRC/XML export - A XRC/XML file is generated on-the-fly when you edit the design form. Functionality is pretty basic right now because the XRC docs seem to be a work in progress as well (some info on how to define particular fields are missing).
    We could really use some feedback on the XRC generation. What I could really use are a few test projects and a program that can read a generic XRC file and give a preview of how the XRC will look at runtime.

As always you can get the latest alpha version on my website under "wx-devcpp Testers": http://reina.homedns.org/wxdevcpp/

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Re: wx-devcpp weekly news, 21 aug 2005

Post by Ryan Norton »

tbreina wrote:native MS VC++ compiler support to the IDE.
THAT'S AWESOME!

(Don't want to get my hopes up too much though :)).
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

Ryan...

dont want to sound high-handed or anything... i read cl /? and ive implemented support for every switch there is... so its pretty much complete... now im just wanting to let wxDev-C++ handle BOTH mingw and vc at the same time...

but it poses quite a big technical challenge... because the project options for VC projects and mingw projects are different. If you have set a project up with VC and you switch to mingw later, you are bound to have many weird switches set (when i used my old mingw project i had funny switches like use SSE2, or __penter convention etc etc)

but otherwise, I'm more or less done with the support for it :P
tiwag
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by tiwag »

lowjoel wrote:... now im just wanting to let wxDev-C++ handle BOTH mingw and vc at the same time...
challenging ! interesting approach - i hope you can manage this, it would be very useful if possible .
-tiwag
tiwag
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: wx-devcpp weekly news, 21 aug 2005

Post by tiwag »

tbreina wrote:...we've picked up Joel Low (lowjoel) as a new developer in the project! Among other things, Joel is working on adding native MS VC++ compiler support to the IDE...
congratulations !
-tiwag
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

while i un-screw my VC distribution 8-)
ssigala
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by ssigala »

When will be the next version released? Thanks.
Sandro Sigala - Kynosoft, Brescia
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

When will be the next version released? Thanks.
My guess is probably the end of September, but the developers haven't discussed a timeline for the next release. Typically, we release when either (1) we've got one or two new features ready or (2) there are repeated reports of bugs that have long since been fixed.

I think XRC generation and MS VC++ support are probably enough for a release. Joel has a working version of MS VC++ support, but we're trying to make it possible to switch between gcc and MS VC++.

You can always download the alpha if you want the bleeding edge.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

to be honest, tony, ive been busy with the components... there have been some serious bugs... last night i re-fixed a bug that resurfaced.... i dont know who committed the old CVS back...
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

lowjoel wrote:i dont know who committed the old CVS back...
Don't look at me, I'm on holiday.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

lol no one blamed you... someones guiltyyyyyyy :P
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by daddydave »

The VC support is a nice idea. Still uses static libraries in that mode?

It works with the free downloadable version of the Microsoft compiler and tools?
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

daddydave wrote:It works with the free downloadable version of the Microsoft compiler and tools?

Yes.
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

hey hey its my center i should be answering :P
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by daddydave »

And does the VC flavor use static versions of the wx library?