7.4.2 size question.

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

7.4.2 size question.

Post by Dark Alchemist »

Just updating all of my wxWidgets stuff (catching up is more like it as my stuff is 2 years old) and noticed that 7.4.2 is 3 times the size of even 7.4.1 (I have 7.3.1.3). What in the world is in this for it to have grown so much?
tbreina

Re: 7.4.2 size question.

Post by tbreina »

I think it's the MinGW devpak that we're now including (57.7 MB as a compressed devpak). It's basically just the TDM-GCC MinGW distro but unzipped to one of our directories.

This way we were able to upgrade from gcc 3.4.5 to gcc 4 and still provide a way for the user to update the gcc/MinGW distro outside of our IDE.

BTW, we're also using a Unicode build of wxWidgets, which will add a bit to the size.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist »

Ahhh, that explains it.

Yeah, I am still not using Unicode since I like the size of not having it and I program for the States only. I normally only use wxDev C++ to write my skeleton and take that skeleton into MSVC where the actual final build happens as MSVC makes for smaller code than GCC and I prefer it over GCC but with the way Visual Studio is going with its hatred of C++ I may be forced to go to GCC in the next 2 or 3 years. Heck Visual Studio Express is dropping something that I was shocked at the time I read it and I think it might have been C++ or something I know I would need in my C++ developing cycle. Their force to get everyone into the one way thinking, or lack of thinking altogether, with C# makes me sick as I refuse to do C# or .Net.

Anyway, thank you for the information.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Dark Alchemist wrote:Ahhh, that explains it.

Yeah, I am still not using Unicode since I like the size of not having it and I program for the States only. I normally only use wxDev C++ to write my skeleton and take that skeleton into MSVC where the actual final build happens as MSVC makes for smaller code than GCC and I prefer it over GCC but with the way Visual Studio is going with its hatred of C++ I may be forced to go to GCC in the next 2 or 3 years. Heck Visual Studio Express is dropping something that I was shocked at the time I read it and I think it might have been C++ or something I know I would need in my C++ developing cycle. Their force to get everyone into the one way thinking, or lack of thinking altogether, with C# makes me sick as I refuse to do C# or .Net.

Anyway, thank you for the information.
Yes, with all of the various possible permutations (Unicode/gcc/MSVC/debug/monolithic) it's difficult to keep wxDev-C++ from "locking" the developer into one way of thinking too without the installer bloating to several gigs. But, we've tried hard to not take sides and let the developers use it as they see fit.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.