Problems with german umlaute in tooltips and labels Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
gleuenet
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Problems with german umlaute in tooltips and labels

Post by gleuenet »

I try to port my working applications from version wxDev-C++ 6.10.1 to build 7.4.2.542 on a windows 7 system (full installer).

Every time, when I enter a text with german umlaute as a label or a tooltip in the designer, compiling fails with the message "illegal byte sequence".

The designer generates a line like this:

Code: Select all

maintoolbar->AddTool(ID_ICONINSERT, wxT(""), iconinsert_BITMAP, iconinsert_DISABLE_BITMAP, wxITEM_NORMAL, wxT("[b]Einfügen[/b]"), wxT(""));
I think the problem is the macro wxT. When I manualy remove the macro, the source is compiled without problems. Another resolution is, to replace the macro with the typecast (const wChar *)"Einfügen".

But, how to realize this inside the designer? Every time, when I insert a new control, the source is rebuilded and my changes are destroyed. A possible resolution is, setting the labels and tooltips inside a setup function, but this cannot be a final resolution for a designer.

Thanks for help!

By the way: wxDev-C++ and wxwidgets are very well done frameworks for developing programs!
tbreina

Re: Problems with german umlaute in tooltips and labels

Post by tbreina »

You'll need to change the wxT to _(). Go to Tools->Designer Options. Then click on the "Code Generation Options" tab. In the dropdown box for "String internationalization" select _ (the second choice). Then click ok.

Whenever you regenerate the code, it will use the _() wrapper instead of the wxT() wrapper.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.