stability issues

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Kodi
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

stability issues

Post by Kodi » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi,

I recently installed wxDev-C++ 7.4.0.77 on my Win7 x64 system. I am usually running it without admin privileges. Unfortunately, the program keeps crashing on different occasions with different error messages. It doesn't really make a difference if I am using admin privileges or not.
So before I go on with explaining all the situations in detail, I wondered if there is a windows component that I might have forgotten to install or if I am maybe using a wrong version or something?

Help would be very much appreciated!

Johannes

PS: I wanted to run updates but the first update mirror doesn't work and the program crashes with the second mirror after the download.

tbreina

Re: stability issues

Post by tbreina » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:46 am

Kodi wrote:Hi,

I recently installed wxDev-C++ 7.4.0.77 on my Win7 x64 system. I am usually running it without admin privileges. Unfortunately, the program keeps crashing on different occasions with different error messages. It doesn't really make a difference if I am using admin privileges or not.
So before I go on with explaining all the situations in detail, I wondered if there is a windows component that I might have forgotten to install or if I am maybe using a wrong version or something?

Help would be very much appreciated!

Johannes

PS: I wanted to run updates but the first update mirror doesn't work and the program crashes with the second mirror after the download.
You shouldn't need Admin privileges to run the IDE. The only place you'll need them is when you install it. It should automatically elevate to Admin whenever you update/install/remove a devpak by running the Package Manager or WebUpdater.

I haven't tested it on Windows 7 x64, but I think others have. Everything you need should be included in the downloaded installer. So definitely post the specific problem/error you are seeing including any bugreport.txt that is generated and any compile log. I'll do my best to figure out what's going on with your setup.

As far as the WebUpdate not working, I've recently changed the server location (http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31882). If you're having trouble with the updates, just re-download the installer and the new version (it will still say 7.4.0.77 for the IDE) will point to the correct mirror.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

Kodi
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Kodi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:42 am

Hi,

thanks for your reply! I'll go ahead and make a small list of my issues.

As you suggested I downloaded the installer again (from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdsgn/ ... e/download) and re-installed the program. Unfortunately, the first download mirror "wxDev-C++ DevPak server" still does not work. I get "Could not connect to remote site. The remote site might be down, or your connection to the internet might not be working. Please try another mirror site."

When I go ahead and try the second mirror "wxDev-C++ primary DevPak server". I check "Dev-C++ Update" and select "Download Selected". I get the Windows crash message "WebUpdate for wx-devcpp does not work anymore".

I have a little code in a *.cpp file. The first time I hit Compile&Run it works. When I hit it again I get this report. (attachment) I have not double checked but I think this is the message I receive every other time or so that I hit compile/compile&run. Sometime I get it when I close the cmd window in Windows.

I clicked the error away and get this one when I close wxDev-C++: (atachment2)

Thank you very much, I hope there is a solution!
Attachments
bugreport2.txt
(20.58 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
bugreport.txt
(19.91 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

tbreina

Post by tbreina » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:09 am

Ok, so to get webupdate working again, you'll have to download the mirror.cfg manually and place it in the AppData\Roaming\Dev-Cpp directory. See my post http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31882. When you restart the IDE, it will detect the new mirrors.cfg file and the WebUpdate will use the "Sourceforge wxDev-C++ DevPak server" mirror.

For the bug reports, can you describe what you did to produce the bug? Are you able to provide a sample project that causes the error? It'll be much easier for me to debug the problem if I know the steps to reproduce it.

-Tony

Kodi
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Kodi » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:57 am

Hi,

thank you very much! The good news is that all the updates worked and I installed them now.

However, the bad news is that now the compiler gives me tons of error messages with code that worked before (attachment).

Before I installed the updates it was:
Open IDE -> Open (attachment) -> F9 -> compiled well -> opened program -> ran program -> "press any key" in program -> crash of IDE after pressing a key (bugreport see above)

Again, thank you very much for your help!
Attachments
ÜB1,3_Logelei.cpp
(813 Bytes) Downloaded 98 times

tbreina

Post by tbreina » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:37 pm

I see the bug you are reporting and it's something for me to fix. However, you are using the IDE incorrectly.

You always need to create a new project for your programs. So even for a project with one .cpp file and no other files, you need to start by File->New Project. In your case, you'll create a new "console application". Then, you can add your code to the main.cpp file (or you can add your own .cpp file to the project. That will compile and run cleanly.

By putting your code in a project, you'll create a proper makefile for the gcc compiler (or the MS VC++ compiler). That way all of the compiler and linker flags will be created correctly. I think we have some code that allows you to compile and run single files, but that's not the proper way to use the IDE. In the long run, it's always better to start with a project.

I've attached a copy of your .cpp file in a new project. You should be able to unzip this and do a F9 without bugs.

-Tony
Attachments
kodi.7z
.cpp file in the proper project format
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Kodi
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Kodi » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks, but it won't work. I get the errors in the compiler log...
Attachments
compiler log.txt
(70.22 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

tbreina

Post by tbreina » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Alright. Follow these steps:

1. Create a new project. File->New->Project. Select console application.

2. Replace the contents of main.cpp with your .cpp code.

3. Save everything.

4. Now compile and run.

-Tony

Kodi
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Kodi » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:45 pm

I did this and it still won't work for me. However, even if it worked I would probably still get the bug I described above. So I guess it'd be best to wait if you can find a solution to it and then reinstall the program without the updates (which I suspect to have caused the compiler-problems).
I feel like I already consumed enough of your time so I don't want to bother you any longer!

Thank you very much for your help so far!