How to create an "Empty wxWidgets Project" templat

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

How to create an "Empty wxWidgets Project" templat

Post by daddydave »

How to create an "Empty wxWidgets Project" template in wx-devcpp
(response to leo128 in the wx-devcpp announcement thread).

The goal of these instructions is to be able to open a new wxwidgets project with the appropriate linker and compiler options, but without having any files automatically created for you for use with the wxdsgn Form Designer. That way, you have the flexibility to create either type of project, or add the wxdsgn forms later on.

Find the wx-devcpp templates folder, if you installed to the default location, it is C:\Dev-cpp\Templates. There is a file for a frame project template file called 00-wxWidgets.template. Make a copy of it in the same folder with a new name (I think I called mine 40-wxWidgets-Empty.template.) This will have all your compile, link options from the wx-devcpp wxdsgn Form Designer frame and dialog projects but without the files. There are only a couple of lines to edit in this text file, Name and Description. Change those lines to "Name=Empty wxWidgets Project" and "Description=An empty project for wxWidgets applications."

Then do File > New > Project... in wx-devcpp and you should have a new choice, Empty wxWidgets project.

My 40-wxWidgets-Empty.template looks like this (except for the Name and Description lines, it is identical to the original):

[Template]
ver=1
Name=Empty wxWidgets Project
IconIndex=0
Description=An empty project for wxWidgets applications.
Catagory=Basic

[Project]
Name=wxProject
UnitCount=0
Type=0
Cpp=1
ResourceIncludes="%DEVCPP_DIR%include"
Compiler=-fno-rtti_@@_-fno-exceptions_@@_-fno-pcc-struct-return_@@_-fstrict-aliasing_@@_-Wall_@@_-fvtable-thunks_@@_-D__WXMSW___@@_-D__GNUWIN32___@@_-D__WIN95___@@_
Linker=-lwxmsw26_@@_-lwxmsw26_gl_@@_-lwxtiff_@@_-lwxjpeg_@@_-lwxpng_@@_-lwxzlib_@@_-lwxregex_@@_-lwxexpat_@@_-lkernel32_@@_-luser32_@@_-lgdi32_@@_-lcomdlg32_@@_-lwinspool_@@_-lwinmm_@@_-lshell32_@@_-lcomctl32_@@_-lole32_@@_-loleaut32_@@_-luuid_@@_-lrpcrt4_@@_-ladvapi32_@@_-lwsock32_@@_-lodbc32_@@_-lopengl32_@@_
Name=wxWindows Project
IsCpp=1
CppCompiler=-fno-rtti_@@_-fno-exceptions_@@_-fno-pcc-struct-return_@@_-fstrict-aliasing_@@_-Wall_@@_-D__WXMSW___@@_-D__GNUWIN32___@@_-D__WIN95___@@_
CompilerSettings=0000000001001000000000
CompilerSet=0
IncludeVersionInfo=0
SupportXPThemes=0

It wraps in the forum, but I was able to copy and paste the above into Notepad with wrapping turned off, and it looked OK (the long lines should not be wrapping).
Robjob
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Thanks

Post by Robjob »

Thanks daddy dave :D