Some dialogs not shown properly on Windows XP Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
marcos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Some dialogs not shown properly on Windows XP

Post by marcos »

Hi,

I have just installed wxDev-C++ 7.2.0.2 on my PC (Win XP,
Toshiba notebook with the screen resolution set up to 1280x768).

I noticed some Dialog not properly sized. Some controls remain hidden to the user. For example, either the dialog to create a new project or that for customizing the Help Menu.
It doesn't matter if you resize the dialog: certain controls i.e. the OK - Cancel ones are hidden to me.
I try to attach a snapshot to demonstrate this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Marco Stara
Iatly
Attachments
shortcut1.jpg
Last edited by marcos on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

I think this has to do with your custom Font size settings (in Windows). wxDevCpp is not capable of scaling under these kind of changes.

I'll see if I can improve this one of these days, but be aware that technically, we are not working much more on this software, in favor of a rewrite version (that is not coming out soon in the near future).
marcos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by marcos »

Tanks for your answer,

I have just now verifyied the same problem in another PC at home, Windows 98, with a different screen. As you suggested, I did some experiment by changing the Windows' font settings, with no success. Am I the only one who reported this strange behaviour under Windows?
And can somebody suggest me a font setting wich seems to work fine in his/her Windows system?

Regards,

Marco Stara
Italy
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

Hum, I did some tests with what looks to be your current font size and indeed, it should be at least usable.

Since I can't reproduce your problem all I can do until someone figures out the exact cause for this is to suggest you to remove your layout.ini file, that resides in
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Dev-Cpp before starting the application again. Also, you could try the newer build 3.0.2 (beta, in the update utility) and see if that fixes the problem.
marcos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by marcos »

The newer build 3.0.2 beta doesn't fix the problem.

In my C:\Documents and Settings\Marco Stara\Application Data\ there is no folder called "Dev-Cpp".
In my PC, there is only one folder so called that is "C:\Programmi\Dev-Cpp", the directory wich holds all program files.
And searching for a "layout.ini" file in the whole disk, I found only a file that is in "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\" and I think it has nothing to do with Dev-C++.

Thanks anyway. I hope this will be fixed in the next version. Now wxDev-C++ (as it appears in my system) is surely usable, but using some dialog half-visible is rather annoying. Only resizable dialogs seem affected by this problem:
1) New project
2) Project Options
3) Customize Help Menu
4) Configure Shortcuts
5) Windows List

By the way, another strange thing I'm seeing it's that in the menu Edit there is an item wich is marked as <Err: 7057> (Ctrl+Y).

Best regards,

Marco
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

marcos wrote: In my C:\Documents and Settings\Marco Stara\Application Data\ there is no folder called "Dev-Cpp".
That's rather odd. There must be something wrong with your installation. Maybe removing it all along and installing again.
marcos wrote: Thanks anyway. I hope this will be fixed in the next version. Now wxDev-C++ (as it appears in my system) is surely usable, but using some dialog half-visible is rather annoying.
That's not likely, unless we find out what the problem is or can at least reproduce it. (maybe it is a conflict with another application?). Also, I meant "usable" as in it was not perfect aligned, but in my tests it certainly looked much better than your posted picture.
marcos wrote: By the way, another strange thing I'm seeing it's that in the menu Edit there is an item wich is marked as <Err: 7057> (Ctrl+Y).
Yes, I saw that. That is a non translated (to italian) resource. This is easy to fix, in english it says "Delete line"... what would be the proper translation?
marcos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by marcos »

"Delete line" = "Cancella linea"
marcos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by marcos »

Found the layout.ini file. Sorry, the folder was hidden and read-only. Deleting it doesn't fix the problem though.

Marco
Minexew
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Minexew »

marcos wrote:I did some experiment by changing the Windows' font settings,
What exactly? Have you tried tweaking the DPI or setting a desktop theme with different font size?
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

In 7.3.0.3 beta, I've changed the New Project dialog to not scale with the monitor. I'm hoping that this will prevent your system's font DPI from screwing up the form. Can you try it and see if the form looks ok? If so, then I'll try to change the other forms accordingly.

Thanks.
-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
marcos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by marcos »

Minexew wrote:
marcos wrote:I did some experiment by changing the Windows' font settings,
What exactly? Have you tried tweaking the DPI or setting a desktop theme with different font size?
Both of these changed nothing.

Marco
marcos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by marcos »

tbreina wrote:In 7.3.0.3 beta, I've changed the New Project dialog to not scale with the monitor. I'm hoping that this will prevent your system's font DPI from screwing up the form. Can you try it and see if the form looks ok? If so, then I'll try to change the other forms accordingly.

Thanks.
-Tony
Thanks Tony,

I updated to 7.3.0.3 beta, but the problem persists.
If this can help, I can send you privately a little animation (i.e. a Flash file) where you could see more precisely the dialog's behavior.
If interested drop me a line.

Marco
marcos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by marcos »

tbreina wrote:In 7.3.0.3 beta, I've changed the New Project dialog to not scale with the monitor. I'm hoping that this will prevent your system's font DPI from screwing up the form. Can you try it and see if the form looks ok? If so, then I'll try to change the other forms accordingly.

Thanks.
-Tony
Yes the form looks OK now. Let us know when all Dialogs will be changed.

Thanks,

Marco
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

marcos wrote:

Thanks.
-Tony
Yes the form looks OK now. Let us know when all Dialogs will be changed.

Thanks,

Marco
http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/uploads/devcpp.exe

I've uploaded a version of devcpp.exe which I think should address your specific case. Just download the link above and copy it over your existing devcpp.exe.

Let me know how it works.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
marcos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by marcos »

tbreina wrote: http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/uploads/devcpp.exe

I've uploaded a version of devcpp.exe which I think should address your specific case. Just download the link above and copy it over your existing devcpp.exe.

Let me know how it works.

-Tony
Hi Tony,
something is wrong.
I substituted the old devcpp.exe with the new one and I went back to the state where all resizable dialogs show badly.
If this can help, the Updater reports the Dev-C++ Language installed 7.0.15.

Marco