looking for a painless Vista install Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
jmckim
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

looking for a painless Vista install

Post by jmckim »

I'm looking for someone to point me to a painless vista install with wx + gcc. Nothing, and I mean nothing works to this point.

The problem: Install works and wx ide runs fine. Programs all compile but fail on the build. I'll include a dump if anyone thinks it will help. Here's the spot where the build fails:

C:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp\Bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot open output file Build\MingW\Hello.exe: Permission denied
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

mingw32-make.exe: *** [Build/MingW/Hello.exe] Error 1

Execution terminated

So far I've installed (and uninstalled) wxdevcpp_6.10.2 and various combinations of devcpp and wx. All die with the same error. This seems like this has to be a Vista permissions issue. However, this package was installed with administrator privileges and run by the same user so how this might be is confusing (to me anyway).

Note that I do NOT want to install VS 2005 Express. I already have the Professional version in place and installing the express version will likely confuse my current VS install.

Thanks in advance for any help whether it solves the problem or not.
esse quam videri
protocol

Post by protocol »

I also use VS Pro 2005 (when forced to use windoze). You can add all the respective wx libs/projs to a solution, then add your project to the solution and build. Quick (after the first build), simple and error-free.

regards.
/* UIKit && wxWidgets 2.8 && Cocoa && .Net */
QuRegExmm
wxPCRE & ObjPCRE - Regex It!
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

It appears to be the same problem described in a thread below:

http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=24289

We'll need to make it more clear that the examples are not meant to be compiled from within the program files folder, or make the installer choose a user local folder for this. Anyway, you'll just need to move them from there to a folder inside the account folder tree.

Also, the latest versions of wx-devcpp (RC5 or newer) are more Vista-friendly (Aero thumnails, flip3d, open-save dialogs, help system).
jmckim
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by jmckim »

Pretty interesting...Interesting in the sense of writing another chapter in the book of, "Why would anyone writing the most used OS in the world choose to inflict so much unnecessary...stuff on users?" Too bad my customers require MS.

Anyway, now (after moving the project to Documents) I get:

g++.exe Output/MingW/Hello.o -o "Build\MingW\Hello.exe" -L"C:/Program Files/Dev-Cpp/Lib" -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -lwinspool -lwinmm -lshell32 -lcomctl32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lrpcrt4 -ladvapi32 -lwsock32 -lodbc32 -lopengl32

/mingw/lib/crt2.o:crt1.c:(.text+0x167): undefined reference to `__cpu_features_init'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

mingw32-make.exe: *** [Build/MingW/Hello.exe] Error 1

Execution terminated

Do I maybe need to re-install everything under Documents?

And thanks all for the assistance.
esse quam videri
jmckim
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by jmckim »

Okay,

Tried the new version. The cache build failed but when I rebuilt opting out of the cache build, it all went fine.

I moved the desired projects into the Documents folder and 'Hello World' compiled. I'll check others as well and report any issues.

With this install, I'm trying to compare managed code to gcc .exe output as regards file io (writing).

And just to be clear, I really like the wx environment. I hobbied in it some a couple years ago. The new version looks like it has some very nice enhancements. Thanks all.
esse quam videri