VISTA - String display problem Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
seb_seb0
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

VISTA - String display problem

Post by seb_seb0 »

Hello,

I have installed the last version of wxDevc++ on my computer - Dell inspiron 1521 (laptop) with Microsoft VISTA Home Premium.

The version of wxDevc++ used is 7.0 RC05 build 7.0.0.76.

When I start the IDE, everything loads normally - however some strings are displayed like this: <ERR: 7162> or another number.

On another computer with NT 2000 installed, there is not this problem (same wxDevc++ version).

Changing the language or the interface theme does not solve the problem.
Any idea where it comes from, and how to solve the problem?

Thank you in advance !

Sebastien
tbreina

Re: VISTA - String display problem

Post by tbreina »

seb_seb0 wrote:Hello,

I have installed the last version of wxDevc++ on my computer - Dell inspiron 1521 (laptop) with Microsoft VISTA Home Premium.

The version of wxDevc++ used is 7.0 RC05 build 7.0.0.76.

When I start the IDE, everything loads normally - however some strings are displayed like this: <ERR: 7162> or another number.

On another computer with NT 2000 installed, there is not this problem (same wxDevc++ version).

Changing the language or the interface theme does not solve the problem.
Any idea where it comes from, and how to solve the problem?

Thank you in advance !

Sebastien
For some reason your language devpak isn't updating properly. Which languages are you using? Did you use the WebUpdate to get RC5 or did you use the RC5 installer?

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
seb_seb0
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by seb_seb0 »

Hello,

thank you for the answer.

the language pack used is "English (original)".
My Vista system is in French.
I have tried to change the language of the IDE to "French", but the problem still occured.

I have used the full installer.
I have tried to desinstall it, and reinstall it with the internet installer - but nothing changed.

Sebastien
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

seb_seb0 wrote:Hello,

thank you for the answer.

the language pack used is "English (original)".
My Vista system is in French.
I have tried to change the language of the IDE to "French", but the problem still occured.

I have used the full installer.
I have tried to desinstall it, and reinstall it with the internet installer - but nothing changed.

Sebastien
I wonder if this is a Vista virtualization problem. Sometimes Vista uses an older package even when we try to update it with a newer one.

First thing to try: Go to Program Files\Dev-Cpp\Lang\French.lng and see if the end of the file has the following identifiers:

Code: Select all

# wx designer properties
7000=Activé
7001=Classe de Base
7002=Caché
7003=Par défaut
7004=Texte d'aide
7005=Nom de l'ID
7006=Valeur de l'ID
7007=Bulle d'aide
7008=Commentaires
7009=Code de validation
7010=Couleur de fond
7011=Couleur de premier plan
7012=Facteur d'étirement
7013=Alignement
7014=Bord
7015=Bords
7016=Styles généraux
7017=Police
7018=Nom
7019=Largeur
7020=Hauteur
7021=Gauche
7022=Haut
7023=Propriétés
7024=Événements
7025=Inspecteur des propriétés
7026=Composants
7027=Afficher l'inspecteur des propriétés
7028=Afficher la palette du composant
7029=Nouveau wxDialog
7030=Nouveau wxFrame 
7031=Modifier les propriétés Wx
7032=Copier le nom du widget
7033=Changer l'Ordre de Création
7034=Sélectionner un parent (or "le parent" if only one)
7035=Verouiller le Control
7036=Voir les IDs du Control
7037=Aligner
7038=Vers la Grille
7039=Vertical (or Verticalement)
7040=Horizontal (or Horizontalement, depending on the context; adj or adv)
7041=Vers la Gauche
7042=Vers la Droite
7043=Vers le Centre
7044=Vers le Haut
7045=Vers le Bas
7046=Options du Designer
If not, then try adding them to the file (at the end) and saving the file. That should correct the problem (at least for French).

Also, Can you check your directory called "Users\{$UserName}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files"? (where {$UserName} is your username). See if there is a Dev-Cpp directory there. If so, then please delete it completely and then try uninstalling/reinstalling the RC5 IDE.

-Tony
seb_seb0
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by seb_seb0 »

Hello,

first thing first: PROBLEM SOLVED, thanks to your advice.
1 wxAwards for you !

Changing the .lng files did not help, because the strings were already present. I tried it anyway (it does not hurt), but nothing changed (no surprise here I suppose).

I had actually a directory called "Dev-Cpp" in "C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files".
I deleted it, and it immediately solved the problem (a simple restart of wxDevcpp was sufficient).

To make sure it was the cause of the problem, I tried this:
1 - restore the deleted directory, and restart wxDevcpp - the problem reoccured
2 - rename the "C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dev-Cpp" directory, without stopping wxDevcpp (it was running while exhibing the error). Then I chose in wxDevcpp "tools" / "environment option" / "interface" / "language", switched languages and I clicked OK. The problem disappeared (no restart and / or deinstallation needed).

So I deleted this directory and never looked back.

And I have discovered that this Vista directory is more than 5 Gbyte big (5.8 exactly for a 136 Gb harddrive...) - I wonder what is the real utility of this - looks pretty big for just configuration files (but this is another topic for another time...)

Thanks again.

Sebastien
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Glad it helped.

The Vista virtualization problem is Vista's attempt to prevent unauthorized changes to your system. Unforunately, we didn't know about it's effects until just recently.

Basically, Vista is keeping a copy of things from your Dev-Cpp directory that are being updated (e.g. language files, devpaks). The default behavior is to use those backups even if you have newer files in the Dev-Cpp directory.

I think the design is pretty poor, but that's the way it is on Vista. It would be nice if they would at least show a little dialog box to let the user know that virtualized files are being used.

Anyway, glad you found the bug.

-Tony