Control '' has no parent

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
BlueStallion60
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Control '' has no parent

Post by BlueStallion60 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:52 pm

I am using RC4. When I create a new form the designer is not able to open the form. The error "Cannot open form ...wxform Reason: Control '' has no parent." is displayed. I looked through the forum and found a thread that ended with:

cranger wrote:
Yes, My .wxform file is in a different directory than my .dev file. I wonder if this error is a bug. Same directory, no error.

It's not so much a bug as it is just a design flaw. I don't think we gave the IDE enough flexibility. It assumes that your .wxform is in the same directory as your .dev file. IIRC, in some cases in the code, it just assumes that the wxform name is the .dev form name with a different extension.

This isn't something we'll address with version 7, but we'll probably try to address it after that.

-Tony

I am creating a larger app, and have seperated the source code files into several subdirectories under a source directory. When I create a new wxDialog I tell the wizard to put it in the subfolder that the form belongs to. The .dev file is normally three or four folders above the folder where the new form is being stored.

Should this work in version 7 RC4? I don't recall this problem when I was using version 6.10 (I think I was using).

Thanks

buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm

I will try to fix this for the next release. Thanks.

BlueStallion60
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by BlueStallion60 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Do you think it will be in V7 RC5, or will it be in a release of V8.

buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:36 pm

RC5 for 7.0.

buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 am

This problem is now fixed in trunk.