How to create executable ? Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
triangulum
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

How to create executable ?

Post by triangulum » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:50 pm

Hi all,

now I have installed wxDevC++ and my first simple test app (empty window) could be compiled and started successfully from the IDE.

Two simple (?) questions,

1 - how to create an executable (.exe) ? It seems it is not done automatically.

2 - if wishing to create an executable (binary) under e.g. Linux, what is the smartest way todo so? It seems one has to transfer the code as well as directories containing wxWidgets (which have been installed by wxDevC++). Anyone here who already successfully built executables under various operating systems from the same code?

Peterj
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peterj » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:51 pm

1) Have you checked out your project folder for a new exe?

2) wxDev-C++ is windows only although there have been experiments with running it under Linux. Check out the wxWidgets FAQs.
Using Win XP, Dev C++ 4.9.9.2 wx-beta 6.9

triangulum
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by triangulum » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:01 pm

1) Have you checked out your project folder for a new exe?
Yes I have, and I did not discover it. Then I looked in the "output" folder and - how miraculous - there it is 8)

Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Sof_T » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:04 pm

1) If you can run your project from the IDE an executable has been created. This is held in the Output folder within a folder named after the compiler that created it.

2) I use wxDev-C++ to develop programs under Windows since for me this is the best GUI designer going. I then use Code::Blocks to compile the same code under Linux. Basically I create a new wxWidgets project in Code::Blocks delete the generated files and add the files from my wxDEv-C++ project. Generally there are a few minor alterations needed, but it works pretty well.

Sof.T
The home of Sof.T http://www.sof-t.site88.net/
Author of Programming with wxDevC++
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdevcpp-book/