wxDev-C++ 6.10.2 freezes on file save

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Post Reply
plauriz
In need of some credit
In need of some credit
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 12:01 pm

wxDev-C++ 6.10.2 freezes on file save

Post by plauriz » Sat May 12, 2007 12:17 pm

Well, just like the message subject says, very often when I click on "Save" or "Save all" buttons, wxDev-C++ just freezes and eventually I have to kill it (it takes ~80% of CPU and Mem Usage in task manager is > 60 MB).

Very anoying... Anyone knows how to avoid/fix it?

tbreina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1289
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:38 pm
Location: Coronado, CA

Re: wxDev-C++ 6.10.2 freezes on file save

Post by tbreina » Sat May 12, 2007 5:42 pm

plauriz wrote:Well, just like the message subject says, very often when I click on "Save" or "Save all" buttons, wxDev-C++ just freezes and eventually I have to kill it (it takes ~80% of CPU and Mem Usage in task manager is > 60 MB).

Very anoying... Anyone knows how to avoid/fix it?
I haven't seen that particular behavior. Are there any other processes that pop up in the Task Manager at the same time? Specifically, is make.exe or gcc.exe or any of the MingW programs showing up in the process list?

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

plauriz
In need of some credit
In need of some credit
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 12:01 pm

Post by plauriz » Sat May 12, 2007 8:37 pm

Well, the issue seems to go away after I installed wxDev-C++ to C disk (it was on disk E before, which was mounted from TrueCrypt container). So all is ok so far:).

I have another question then. I installed visual Studio 2005 Express and would like to use its compiler. I configurated compiler settings like described in the tutorial. When I try to compile, I get this message:

"The procedure entry point __security_error_handler could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCR80.dll"

I get the same message when in Visual Studio too. Any ideas why ?
Thanks.

Btw, 3,5 MB for "helllo world" exe file - isn't it a bit too big ? (with MingW).

tbreina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1289
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:38 pm
Location: Coronado, CA

Post by tbreina » Sat May 12, 2007 9:04 pm

plauriz wrote:Well, the issue seems to go away after I installed wxDev-C++ to C disk (it was on disk E before, which was mounted from TrueCrypt container). So all is ok so far:).

Btw, 3,5 MB for "helllo world" exe file - isn't it a bit too big ? (with MingW).
I've never run across someone trying to access it through TrueCrypt. I would think you could keep the project files on your encrypted partition, but keep the wxDev-C++ on the unencrypted C drive. Maybe the TrueCrypt guys could say for sure.

As far as the binary size, it's in our FAQ http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/faq.php?s ... a9b079abaa since the question comes up about 2 times a month. Basically, you're linking against the entire wxWidgets library, so 3.5 MB is probably < 200 KB of the hello world code and > 3.3 MB of the wxWidgets code (of, which probably only 15% is being used). You can always re-compile the wxWidgets libs as you like, but you're not going to get a program with graphical buttons, frames, text, events, and the like for cheap.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

tbreina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1289
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:38 pm
Location: Coronado, CA

Post by tbreina » Sat May 12, 2007 9:08 pm

plauriz wrote:I have another question then. I installed visual Studio 2005 Express and would like to use its compiler. I configurated compiler settings like described in the tutorial. When I try to compile, I get this message:

"The procedure entry point __security_error_handler could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCR80.dll"

I get the same message when in Visual Studio too. Any ideas why ?
Thanks.
A google search turned up http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 2&SiteID=1.

I would do a search to see if you have several copies of MSVCR80.dll on your system (including on your encrypted partition).

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

lowjoel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:37 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by lowjoel » Sun May 13, 2007 8:09 am

If you are using VC 05 then probably you're running XP. Under XP the CRT can only be loaded by manifests, so you should not have problems with missing C Dlls. I think you can try installing the VC (or VC SP1) runtime distributable from MS Downloads.

Joel

Post Reply