Will wxDev-C++ patches be available to Dev-C++?

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Will wxDev-C++ patches be available to Dev-C++?

Post by Freddy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi!
I like wxDev-C++, but I also like Dev-C++ when doing non-wx programming.
But it seems Dev-C++ is not getting updated anymore. So, I think it would be great if the developers of wxDev-C++ could apply the patchs with bug fixes and new features to the normal Dev-C++ too.
So, the project will not die.
I think Dev-C++ is really great, and I like to use it without wx on another machine when I'm not doing wx GUI programming.

I hope you consider this idea.
It would be great if both developers of wxDev-C++ and Dev-C++ could help themselves.

Another thing is: Why not try the scintilla code editor in (wx)Dev-C++?
It has code folding and other features. I think there are ports of it to Delphi.

Thanks

tbreina

Re: Will wxDev-C++ patches be available to Dev-C++?

Post by tbreina » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:14 pm

Freddy wrote:I hope you consider this idea.
It would be great if both developers of wxDev-C++ and Dev-C++ could help themselves.
Esteban has been working on this for a while now. His plan is to implement an add-on system to Dev-C++. The wx part will be maintained as a self-contained add on that "hooks" in. He's spoken with Colin about it and was given the go ahead. I've worked with some preliminary stuff and it looks very useful. Plus, it will allow others to create their own add-ons to hook into Dev-C++.

I don't expect anything concrete for about 6 months. It's a daunting task and will need to be heavily stress-tested.
Freddy wrote: Another thing is: Why not try the scintilla code editor in (wx)Dev-C++?
It has code folding and other features. I think there are ports of it to Delphi.
Thanks
NinjaNL and Guru have been implementing the Scintilla stuff (which will replace the current SynEdit). Again, it's non-trivial as they need to weed through some very old code.

So all-in-all, it will take several months for the next release of wxDev-C++, but it will hopefully knock your socks off!

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Also, I thought Colin gave Guru green light for us taking over the vanilla DevCpp project management... but I haven't heard a word about that since last year... what happened with that?

Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Freddy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Thanks for the great news!
It will be a really worth wait!
I'm looking forward...

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:14 am

buildere wrote:Also, I thought Colin gave Guru green light for us taking over the vanilla DevCpp project management... but I haven't heard a word about that since last year... what happened with that?
Please talk about this through private emails, please, not here.

Joel