unnecessary recompilation on F8 Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
achim
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

unnecessary recompilation on F8

Post by achim » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:29 am

hi,

don't think it's an error in wxDev, more likely a a matter of configuration, but I can't find it:
The more I work on my project, the more it appears, that even after changing, or setting a breakpoint (without changing the code), a press to F8 (shotrcut to debug),
will lead to a recomilation, or better an unneeded and time consuming relinking in that case.
Any tipps how I can change this behavior?

Using wxDev-C++ 6.10.1 on 2K

thanx
-achim

loptr
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by loptr » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:07 pm

check the shortcuts under "tools->configure shortcuts" and adjust them as you wish...

achim
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by achim » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:30 pm

hi,

the shortcut's OK (maped to debug), my former explanation has been incomplete: the unnecessary recompilation, or as the case may be, relinking NOT only
happens when pressing F8, but also when doning the command by menu or button (debug or run to cursor).
This behavior is quit OK, if the code has been changed (as it behaves in former versions),
but it's infuriating, when the code did not change at all, and the exact same bianry is relinked once again, since it's not my favor, watching it :twisted:

any ideas?

cheers
-achim

loptr
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by loptr » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:35 pm

never had that prob myself. always behaved as it was supposed to. my only idea as for now would be reinstallation...

sry. maybe anybody else has got a better idea.

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:23 am

If you are fluent with mingw-make makefiles, look it yourself. it's called makefile.win and it should be in the same folder as your project.

I'm not sure if Tony merged my make-checking thing into his 6.10-2, but what the new code is supposed to do is that a new makefile will be generated by wxDev-C++ all the time and before debugging we will query make to see if any files has changed (asking you if you want wxDev-C++ to compile the files first). So if anything screws up on this step you may be prompted with excessive compilation.

I've not seen this myself, so it's good if you can examine the makefile (don't post the makefile - it is highly project-specific and probably no-one will understand how the targets are interdependent)

Joel

achim
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by achim » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:50 pm

hi,

I'm not so fluent to the compiler options (maybe one of them forces a rebuilding?), but the makefile seems to look good itself, as I changend some
unlucky directory names, used by (within) the project profile name, but unfortunaly without effect.
Just some 8.3 conventions results eg. in a path:"C:/WXWIDG~1/WXWIDG~1.3/include", but I don't think, that's the reson for rebuilding...
So I got no idea anymore [-X

PS How can I get the current version of wxDevC++, the About box, don't tell anything about it.

thanx
-achim

achim
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by achim » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:56 am

hi,

after the last changes (Auto-Increment build number on rebuild, instead of Auto-Increment build number on compile,
optimising pathes to folder for objectfiles ans executable...), nothing happens , first, but while I didn't try it at once
after restarted wxDevC++, I recognised today, that the compilation / linking just is done, if it's necessary; as it should be.
So everthing's fine again, thanks lowjoel, your tip showed me the direction, even if I couldn't explain, what exactly caused this behavior.

solong, cheers
-achim