Webpage for creating wxDevCpp development environment

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
tbreina

Webpage for creating wxDevCpp development environment

Post by tbreina »

After something like 2 dozen attempts, I think I finally have a recipe that spells out the steps needed to create wxDevCpp from source.

http://reina.homedns.org/wxdevcpp/setup_wxdevcpp.html

Following these steps I was able to build a working version. Please feel free to check out the webpage and make suggestions on how to improve/correct/streamline the procedure.

-Tony

p.s. The root directory for the page http://reina.homedns.org/wxdevcpp/ contains many of the files used for the build environment.
tiwag
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by tiwag »

well done

--tiwag
Valmont
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Valmont »

You could convert the *bmp images to jpg images for faster page load :)
When it is done loading I might even think a *gif would even suffice.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

You could convert the *bmp images to jpg images for faster page load Smile
When it is done loading I might even think a *gif would even suffice.

Ask and ye shall receive... Done.

-Tony
Valmont
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Valmont »

I think you noticed the difference too :).
markfm
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by markfm »

At the start, where do you get the source? The link goes to Guru's website, but doesn't seem to lead to source anywhere.

I then tried going to CVS, for the step that talks about installing the theme manager -- no sign of it.

In step 4, your link to your local copy of del6_per_rtl2 is bad -- goes to the wrong file.

(One of the joys of the Web, files get bounced around. It's very well written, just that a couple of the links don't get you to needed items.))

Thanks.

Post by Guest »

Ok. I think I fixed the link.

I also added a section on downloading from CVS.

-Tony
markfm
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by markfm »

Thanks.
markfm
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by markfm »

Using TortoiseCVS you need to use pserver: for the anonymous login, not ssh:

Make that one change and you get a successful download.

Unfortunately, the download of Module wxdevcpp does not include any ThemeManager6.dpk, so your Step 7 can't be done.

(the devil is in the details, as always...)

Looking forward to the next round ... :)
markfm
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by markfm »

I tried DLing your Jan 11 snapshot, installing ThemeManager from there -- didn't work.
[Fatal Error] ThemeManager6.dpk(30): Required package 'rtl' not found

I went back, reinstalled del6_per_rtl2.exe and Delphi6_RTL3.exe. Tried installing ThemeManager again, still no joy -- same rtl not found error.

According to the rtl installation it DID install.
Delphi 6 installed in directory: C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6\Source
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6\Source\RTL
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6\Source\RTL\Common
Extract: Classes.pas... 100%
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6\Lib
Extract: Classes.dcu... 100%
Extract: rtl.dcp... 100%
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6\Lib\debug
Extract: Classes.dcu... 100%
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6\MergeModules
Extract: BaseRTL.Msm... 100%
Output folder: C:\WINDOWS
Extract: rtl60.map... 100%
Extract: rtl60.bpl... 100%
Completed

For kicks, I checked installed components, went back and tried to manually add rtl60.bpl, out of \Windows where it gets installed. I did receive the error message: Package rtl60.bpl cannot be installed becomes another package with the same base name is already loaded. This sounds like it's there, but ThemeManager6.dpk will not install.
Last edited by markfm on Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

I updated the page again to reflect the pserver change in the CVS settings. Note that this is for anonymous download. If you want to commit your changes to CVS, then you'll need a password for the ext server (I give a brief explanation and a link-- essentially just create a SourceForge account and e-mail Guru to add you to the Developer's list).

The CompUsedBy_WX_BUILD directory isn't filled in source because it is over 70 MB in size (and mostly includes packages that can be downloaded from the internet like JCL and JEDI). The consensus was that it wouldn't be fair to hog that much space for libraries and binaries that rarely change.

To make things easy, I have a zipped version of the directory and added a link to the webpage. As the project evolves, I think we'll need to find a more elegant solution to the problem. (Perhaps some sort of formal installer-- I've had some good experience with writing Nullsoft install packages)

One immediate thought is that we could just make the wx-devcpp package a set of patches for dev-cpp. This way you download the CVS source for Dev-Cpp and patch it with the wx-devcpp diffs. I'm trying to work on that now as I get my feet wet building the current 6.6 beta package. Currently, a lot of the "voodoo" is stuck in Guru's head. I'm teasing it out of him piece by piece and trying to document it for posterity (which includes myself 6 months from now when I need to re-install the build platform for some reason).

If anyone feels they are better qualified (I have no experience with Delphi so that's almost a certainty :wink: ), you are welcome to help or take the reins from me. Please e-mail Guru if you want to take a crack at it.

-Tony
markfm
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by markfm »

Random post -- please check, I had a new note about ThemeManager not installing, immediately before your last post (we were entering posts at the same time).
Thanks.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

I tried DLing your Jan 11 snapshot, installing ThemeManager from there -- didn't work.
[Fatal Error] ThemeManager6.dpk(30): Required package 'rtl' not found

I went back, reinstalled del6_per_rtl2.exe and Delphi6_RTL3.exe. Tried installing ThemeManager again, still no joy -- same rtl not found error.
Mark,

I had to re-install the build today and ran across the same thing.

I think the cause may be that you didn't start Delphi6 AND then re-boot the system before installing JCL. Perhaps I'm completely misinterpretting things (or just insane) here, but it seems that after you install Delphi6 a system reboot is needed for Windows to update the environment variables (and determine where Delphi6 is located). If you checked the JCL install, you might have noticed that the BPL directories weren't defined (and you probably needed to manually input them). If the Delphi environment variables are corrected seen by Windows, then these directories should be added automatically by the JCL install script.

So long story short.

1. Re-install Delphi6 and its patches.
2. Start Delphi6 and then exit.
3. Reboot Windows.
4. Install JCL. If the directory is automatically found for the BPL files, then you should be good to go.
5. Proceed as per webpage.

p.s. The new webpage spells out the reboot. I figure it can't hurt.

Please let me know what you find. It's good to have someone check my work as methodically as you are doing. It's a REALLY big help.

-Tony
p.s. You can IM me with Windows Messenger. I'm online now. (use e-mail listed on the webpage)
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

For kicks, I checked installed components, went back and tried to manually add rtl60.bpl, out of \Windows where it gets installed. I did receive the error message: Package rtl60.bpl cannot be installed becomes another package with the same base name is already loaded. This sounds like it's there, but ThemeManager6.dpk will not install.
I've run across something like this after "removing" Delphi packages.

It seems to me that Delphi6 PE is keeping the "removed" package filenames in its startup configuration file. So if you attempt to remove an installed package, it still has knowledge of the files and prevents the package from being re-installed. This is one of the reasons I've had to rebuild from scratch so many times. If you attempt to remove the files manually from the BPL directory, Delphi6 won't start (it freaks out when it can't find the files-- even though the package isn't installed).

-Tony
markfm
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by markfm »

No joy so far. I tried reinstalling Delphi over the existing installation, rebooting, then installing the updates, rebooting, then installing the jcl.
1) The update2 and rtl are both seeking my license key, even though I did run the Delphi registration and it displays the proper keys.

2) jcl still doesn't display the paths.

I'm trying a full uninstall, then reinstall from ground zero.