Upgrading wxDev-c++

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
ercolesptr
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Upgrading wxDev-c++

Post by ercolesptr »

The project of wxDev-c++ has not been updated since 11 years now and the wxWidgets used as well as the GCC compiler used are very old. However the form design of wxDev-C++ as well as its ease of installation are the best around for any opensource C++ IDE. Therefore I am looking into a way to make wxDev-C++ use the latest version of GCC compiler and WxWidgets. Can someone tell me how I can do this?
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Upgrading wxDev-c++

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Simple.
Get the source of the wxDev-C++.
See if iit will compile with the latest version of wxWidgets.
Fix any errors it will produce.
Re-package the IDE.
Place an announcement here or in the "Announcement..." forum.
Keep updating the IDE with every single update to wxWidgets.

Thank you.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

ONEEYEMAN wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:25 pm Get the source of the wxDev-C++.
See if iit will compile with the latest version of wxWidgets.
AFAIK, somewhat ironically, wxDev-C++ is not written in C++ (it's in Pascal) nor does it use wxWidgets (it uses VCL).
Netzschleicher
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Netzschleicher »

I've got the Source-Code for wxDev-C++. It seems it was Build with CodeGear/Embarcadero Delphi RAD-Studio. And it uses many Third-Party Components like DevExpress and Jedi-JVCL. Manybe it can be rewrited with Lazarus Free-Pascal in an Cross-Platform way, but this is surely an very expensive Job.
ercolesptr
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by ercolesptr »

It was written with Embarcadero Delphi I presume and there is a free community edition for that.
Netzschleicher
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Netzschleicher »

I have an old VM with Win7 32bit and Delphi2007 installed. After installing JEDI Jcl and Jvcl Component Library and SynEdit Library, i can open the project. But cannot compile ist. Many Errors of missing units and defines. DevExpress Components not needed. After opening the project, Delphi cannot be closed. It hangs on closing the project form.
djsbriscoe
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by djsbriscoe »

I'd love to see WxDev-C++ upgraded. I have the Lazurus 2.2.6 installed but the problem is I've NEVER used it or EVER written any code in Pascal or Delphi. What needs to be done to open the source code in Lazurus? Or is there a FREE version of Pascal that the code can be opened in? Thanks.
Netzschleicher
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Netzschleicher »

You can not open wxDevCpp directly in Lazarus Free/Pascal. You have to convert Delphi specific Files (i.e. *.dpr , *.dfm) into Lazarus Free/Pascal ones. Then you must look for 3rd party Components like JediJVCl. These are not fully supported by Lazarus Free/Pascal. I'm shure there are much more issues to get wxDevCpp opened in Lazarus Free/Pascal.