Protocol handler (like eMule)

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
Berserker
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Protocol handler (like eMule)

Post by Berserker » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:04 am

I need to write an app that intercepts links like eMule for ed2k, anyone can help plz?
Under windows I have to write a registry key, something like "ed2k\\shell\\open\\command" under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, is there a portable way to do this?I have no idea how it works under linux :(
Another problem is how notify the "running process" of the event, eMule calls:

Code: Select all

SendMessage(maininst, WM_COPYDATA, (WPARAM)0, (LPARAM)(PCOPYDATASTRUCT)&sendstruct);
saving in "sendstruct" the ed2k link.How can I do this in wxWidgets?
Thanks

bjoernp
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by bjoernp » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:29 pm

So you want to register your app for a particular file-type, I got you right?

I don't know how to do this, but CodeBlocks does it.
You should grab the source (nightly or svn, not the RC) and see how they do it. They usually do it right in cb, it's an ultra-app. :-)
On Linux I guess there probably is no single solution for this. It's the desktop's business and they all do things a little different. And there is no registry with Linux, but I bet you knew that one.
There is a movement of standardization on the way there (see http://www.freedesktop.org ), dunno how far this is implemented yet.

Cheers!

T-Rex

Post by T-Rex » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:58 am

I have seen some article about how to create your own protocol handler for Firefox. This should help if you want to intercept the links which user presses in browser window.

http://www.codeproject.com/internet/FirefoxProtocol.asp