Need help in UDP "connection" Topic is solved

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
liangbowen
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Need help in UDP "connection"

Post by liangbowen »

As UDP don't have a reliable connection, how can I detect a client is disconnected(due to the client application crashed, power cut, cable unpluged) on server side?

any suggestion would be appreciated.
upCASE

Re: Need help in UDP "connection"

Post by upCASE »

liangbowen wrote:As UDP don't have a reliable connection, how can I detect a client is disconnected(due to the client application crashed, power cut, cable unpluged) on server side?
You can't.
One simlpe thing to do would be to have a ping <-> pong scheme, where the clients acknowldege packets. Apart from that you could have a TCP socket connection that simply does nothing but hanging around until one of the client disconnects.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
liangbowen
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by liangbowen »

If I use the "a ping <-> pong scheme"(is this also called keep-alive?), how long shall the interval be reasonable?

someone suggested me to make the clients send keep alive messages to server every 1 sec. but will that cause a network congestion if the server has several thousand clients connecting?
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

liangbowen wrote:If I use the "a ping <-> pong scheme"(is this also called keep-alive?), how long shall the interval be reasonable?

someone suggested me to make the clients send keep alive messages to server every 1 sec. but will that cause a network congestion if the server has several thousand clients connecting?
Hmm..
This is not a true keep-alive. keep-alive would mean something like when you have a TCP connection that would be closed by the server after a timeout limit, you send a special message to generate some traffic to leave the connection open.

As UDP is connection-less, there is no "true" keep alive. UDP is fire-and-forget.

What I meant was checking if requests where actualy processed. It's a resquest <-> acknowledge scheme. Like when you send a packet, the server would send a small acknowledge message back, tellling you the it got the packet.

It mainly depends on what you want to achieve. Sending packets every second to thousands of clients is not a good idea. What I did once for a small VoIP app was two approaches:
1. Have a TCP and UDP socket.
2. Use an acknowledgement scheme.

1. The TCP socket was used for not traffic, but to get the connection status. If it was closed or destroyed, so was the UDP socket.
2. Every packet had an ID number and for every 100th packet the client send an acknowledge packet back.

In my case the order of packets and packet loss wasn't important. That's why UDP made perfect sense. If you really need to have an established connection and need to be able to check that everytime, maybe consider using TCP socket.

What do you want to do?
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
liangbowen
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by liangbowen »

I am writing a p2p program, sometimes client program failed to send packet to server or failed to receive packet from server. If this packet is about command like "get users list", I can perform an ACK on server side and client side.

But if a command like "logout", ACK may not work, because clients just don't click the "LogOut" button, they click the exit program button([x]) directly, I can send a "log out" message to server right before the program distroy, but not likely to perform an ACK.

And what if the client program crashed? Especially when it's a client note takes an important role.

I'm thinking to perform a "check clients alive" scheme on serverside to check if the clients is alive. but that means the server have to send "check alive" packets to all clients for every x seconds. How long would the x be reasonable?

And still I don't think it's a good idea. Because what if the clients don't get the "check alive" message becuase of the temporary bad network congestion in serveral seconds or becuase the client's nat session changed? And when it comes back(say send a "list users" message to server) just to found itself has been kicked out from server.
Dandel1984
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Dandel1984 »

i would read this document, since it appears to have some real good helpful advice for your current circumstance...

http://alug.appstate.edu/index.php?modu ... evelopment
liangbowen
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by liangbowen »

Dandel1984 wrote:i would read this document, since it appears to have some real good helpful advice for your current circumstance...

I am sorry, but i can't find the "some real good helpful advice" anywhere.
Do I have to login that page?
Dandel1984
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Dandel1984 »

liangbowen wrote:
Dandel1984 wrote:i would read this document, since it appears to have some real good helpful advice for your current circumstance...

I am sorry, but i can't find the "some real good helpful advice" anywhere.
Do I have to login that page?
i said to read that, because if you read that, and then read this page, you get a real good idea as to what happens...

http://www.wxwindows.org/manuals/2.6.3/ ... xapponexit
liangbowen
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by liangbowen »

Do you mean I should read the wxWidgets manual, I should use the wxSockXxxx API? Currently I only use wxWidgets as a GUI solution.

I don't quite get your point.
Dandel1984
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Dandel1984 »

liangbowen wrote:Do you mean I should read the wxWidgets manual, I should use the wxSockXxxx API? Currently I only use wxWidgets as a GUI solution.

I don't quite get your point.
all that i was pointing out is how to set wxwidgets with a shut off routine that can be used with the initialization routine... and as for the wxsock api it's up to you, but personally using libsdl wouldn't hurt for the network api.
liangbowen
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by liangbowen »

I think I need a reliable udp solution, otherwise I'll create another tcp connection to guarantee reliability.