What are the benifint of mailing list Topic is solved

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
frog-o
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

What are the benifint of mailing list

Post by frog-o »

I keep be told buy people if I want to help devlope a project i sould join the mailing list.

as far as i know a mailing list is just like a form, ecept it makes a mess out of your email.

Could some one tell me why pepole push the mailing list so hard?

Why not just use the form where everyone can see what being discused?

For project that depend on the comminity help I would think the form would be a better idea and I find them much easyer to use.
Why do pepole have mailing list where it hide thing from the comminity.

Am I geting the wrong idea of want ia mailing list is?

Thanks.
Ksmith22
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Ksmith22 »

Because the developers very rarely visit or post on the forums.
ABX
Can't get richer than this

Re: What are the benifint of mailing list

Post by ABX »

frog-o wrote:Could some one tell me why pepole push the mailing list so hard?
Many reasons come to my mind. With email I can have posts marked, sorted, categorized own way with nearly every mail-client. I can read emails through web (like forums) but also through my phone/pda during travel. I can spent time on holidays for three months and readed items stay readed like unreaded stay undreaded - no post is lost. Email is not php based - forum can be destroyed by bots, server crash, bomb while emails stay on my account can be forwarded to another account, can be get again from archive and are mirrored in some other places.

Email list can have any gate: to forum, to newsgroups, to another mailing list, to web form. Every medium is just subsribed to same mailing list.
That's probably doable in other direction but not that popular and perhaps it's related to the risk that some spambot could use hole in forum engine to send lots of emails.

Alltogether, while mails are not as cute as colored html with emoticons and atavars, they are safe source of knowledge which behave adjustable way.
Why not just use the form where everyone can see what being discused?
Just use http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.wxwidgets.devel/ if you like.

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Both have pros and cons. I like the community feeling more when it comes to a forum. A mailinglist is too 'cold' .. When I check wx-users I often loose oversight, also when my mail client does not seem to get that one topic belongs to another and I have to look where that reply belongs to. It is a wealth of info, but I prefer a forum.

I fought hard (discussion wise) to get this forum off the ground, a lot of pro's and cons and people sharing their vision on not dividing the user base. Now, almost two years later I have to say that there was a need for the forum after all, seeing we passed 3000+ members, have 50.000+ hits a day and a lot of good stuff (consider the Code Dump section).

I believe a forum can create more the community feeling. You can see who is online (with a reasonable probability), you start to identify the people who come here often by their presence and good answers.

Ofcourse some of the obvious benefits are;
- RSS
- Syntax highlight and clickable classes
- wxAward system
- Clear categories

I am in discussion with Kevin that when the main wx site is done, and he can focus on the wx-community site, that we try to embed the forum in such a way that people have the forum plus all other goodies within reach.

With regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
ABX

Post by ABX »

Jorg wrote:Now, almost two years later I have to say that there was a need for the forum after all
Definietly! It's just that community needs are different than needs of developers. In forum (and wx-users) I see outer wxW diversity (from newbies, through open dicsussions to bug reports) while in wx-dev I see inner working knowledge base. Both are needed.
ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
frog-o
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by frog-o »

Please know i not tring to stop you from using the mailing list. I just want to know why pepole use it. Wich you explain quit well. :D Thanks

i never knew about

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.wxwidgets.devel/

Do you know any way of to get someone add this link to the commnity page of the wxwidgets and put it under the part that sayes you can optionly use the messageboard.

Thank again [/quote]
ABX

Post by ABX »

frog-o wrote:i never knew about

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.wxwidgets.devel/

Do you know any way of to get someone add this link to the commnity page of the wxwidgets and put it under the part that sayes you can optionly use the messageboard.
GMANE archive is already mentioned at http://www.wxwidgets.org/maillst2.htm since early days of its existence :)

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X