Client/Server cross platform application framework

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
McCabe
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Client/Server cross platform application framework

Post by McCabe »

Hello!

I'm about to start a project that will be client/server based and should work on Linux and Windows.
I'm looking for an application framework that has the basic stuff already made, like session handling, user login, communication between server and client etc.
Since I've previously used wxWidgets I'd prefer a solution that uses that, but it's not mandatory. Browser (Web) based frameworks are out of the question.

Anyone know of such a framework, or will I need to do my own show?

Anyone else interested in such a project?

/linus
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Re: Client/Server cross platform application framework

Post by Ryan Norton »

McCabe wrote:Anyone know of such a framework, or will I need to do my own show?
What you are trying to do is really simple - just use wxSockets and encode the data with an md5 algorithm (or for more paranoia rijndael) both ways if you need security in authentication.

There's a pretty nice API here -
http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/

Just send a session through the sockets -
I.E.
MySession msCurrent;
mysock->Write(&msCurrent, sizeof(MySession));
McCabe wrote: Anyone else interested in such a project?
There are much better places to advertise your project then these forums - try putting something in announce if you must.
Last edited by Ryan Norton on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
McCabe
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by McCabe »

Thanks for the suggestions, however, I think you misunderstood me: I'm not announcing that I'm starting such a framework, I'm looking for one to use for my application.

I know socket communication isnt that hard to implement, but there's much more to an application framework than that and if there's already a project out there chances are they've solved alot of problem already...

Preferable, it would have support for users, user rights levels or groups, user/installation adjustable form/window layouts, etc

/Linus
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

McCabe wrote: Preferable, it would have support for users, user rights levels or groups, user/installation adjustable form/window layouts, etc
The closest thing I can think of is wxCurl
http://sf.net/projects/wxcurl/.

A thought - If you're using user groups etc. you could just go off the native system's access rights.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]