WxWidgets vs Trolltechs QT

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
Seth Shapiro
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

WxWidgets vs Trolltechs QT

Post by Seth Shapiro »

Is Wxwidgets similar to Trolltechs QT?

Is the amount of developed classes similar? QT has like 400+ public classes; does Wxwidgets have a similar amount?

I am extremely green to programming and I am exploring my options so I can develop my first program.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
phlox81
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by phlox81 »

QT is GPL, wxWidgets not.
wxWidgets has a lot of classes, but is due its
history does make so heavy use of C++ as QT does it,
but still wxWidgets is a pretty good library.
Infact its the only Crossplattform Library which
is trying to use native Controls of the OS, instead
drawing them, like GTK does.

a wxWidgets Classoverview:http://wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6.2/wx_c ... assesbycat
upCASE

Re: WxWidgets vs Trolltechs QT

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
Seth Shapiro wrote:Is Wxwidgets similar to Trolltechs QT?
Yes. Both share the same idea of creating aplatform independent GUI library.
Seth Shapiro wrote:Is the amount of developed classes similar? QT has like 400+ public classes; does Wxwidgets have a similar amount?
I never counted them. But I think it's not the count of classes that matters. The count of "important" or "convenience" classes matters and it should be about the same for both (wxString - QString, wxArray - QArray etc.).

In general: Both are "write once, compile everywhere" toolkits.
Qt has a somewhat "difficult" linence model, at least on Windows. Qt is layed out to integrate with VC, other compilers are not that well supported, while wxWidgets can be used with many compilers.

The event handling system is completely different for both. wxWidgets uses event tables like the MFC does, or dynamic event handler connecting, while Qt uses signals and slots. Qt needs a special "precompiler" for internal typing and event handling while wxWidgets does not. There was a reecent discussion about creating a signal mechanism for wxWidgets, but time will tell if someone will do it and if it will be integrated to the lib as another way of event handling.

In short: Both toolkits do what they were designed for. IMHO wxWidgets is better as it is free for all purposes and doesn't need a precompiler. The only drawback is the lack of a "standard" GUI editor. Qt offers a pretty good one, while wxWidgets has more then one available (some free, some commercial). When licenced, Trolltech offers commercial support for Qt. wxWidgets on the other hand is free and offers support only via the mailing list or this "unofficial" (can we still say that :) ) forum.

Anyway: I'd say give both a try and decide what you like better.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
leio
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by leio »

There's also
http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/wiki.pl?WxWid ... r_Toolkits
where wxWidgets compared to Qt is also discussed.
As for commercial support, there are a couple companies around that offer commercial support service for wxWidgets, if that is deemed as necessary.
Compilers: gcc-3.3.6, gcc-3.4.5, gcc-4.0.2, gcc-4.1.0 and MSVC6
OS's: Gentoo Linux, WinXP; WX: CVS HEAD

Project Manager of wxMUD - http://wxmud.sf.net/
Developer of wxGTK;
gtk+ port maintainer of OMGUI - http://www.omgui.org/
Seth Shapiro
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Seth Shapiro »

Great stuff people! All of your replies have helped me out immensely and I appreciate your time! Each of your replies is unique, covered different issues and all together were very helpful!

I will be embarking on the wxWidgets journey. Today the "Cross Platform GUI Programming w/ WxWidgets" book I ordered showed up.

My plan is to use the MS Visual Studio 2005 Express and the latest version of WxWidgets. Wish me luck, I a so green to programming, that on Saint Patricks Day I blend in like chocolate syrup and milk! LOL

Thanks again!