Diamond Inheritance within the wxWidgets library

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
Virchanza
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Diamond Inheritance within the wxWidgets library

Post by Virchanza »

Hi guys

I'm currently composing a paper to present to the C++ Standards Committee to try solve a basic problem of diamond inheritance.

My proposal is entitled 'Continuity Methods', and I'm sharing it here as I think it would be useful for the guys who actually write the wxWidgets libraries, and also for those of us who make use of the wxWidgets libraries.

I'm currently writing a pre-compiler to implement my proposal so that people can 'try before you buy'.

This forum won't allow me to attach a PDF file, so here's a link to download the latest draft: http://virjacode.com/download/continuit ... aft002.pdf

Also I have a short webpage on it with links to older drafts and Github here:
http://virjacode.com/projects/continuity_methods
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Diamond Inheritance within the wxWidgets library

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Why are you posting you preliminary research here?

We are not interested in this...

But let us know when you work is completed and we will be happy to congratulate you on re-inventing the wheel.

Good luck.
Virchanza
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Virchanza »

ONEEYEMAN wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:54 am Why are you posting you preliminary research here?
I've already got my pre-compiler working and so it's no longer 'preliminary'. Although with that said, preliminary research is appropriate here and I would encourage others to post preliminary research here.
We are not interested in this...
Please say "I" and "me" instead of "We" and "us" in contexts where you're sharing your own personal aversions.
But let us know when you work is completed and we will be happy to congratulate you on re-inventing the wheel.
I realise that you're speaking figuratively here and that there is no 'wheel', however I still don't see the similarity you are pointing out. There isn't any programming language in existence today -- nor in the past -- that has continuity methods. I came up with the idea this year. It's a new idea.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

I think wxVarHVScrollHelper might be the only class in wxWidgets that uses diamond inheritance. I'm not sure that this idea adds any value to that design though.