Run wx projects on embedded board

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
hinet
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Run wx projects on embedded board

Post by hinet »

Hi All,

I am an embedded system engineer and, running wx applications on embedded systems matters for me.
Does wxWidgets runs on any embedded system? I want to try to do this using raspberry pi board but, I don't Know if this could work or not!
Does anyone trayed this before?

Thank you in advance for you participation to this topic and sharing with me you knowledge.

Regards,
S.Tarik
doublemax

Re: Run wx projects on embedded board

Post by doublemax »

If you're talking about a Raspi with GUI (GTK or X11), it definitely works.
Use the source, Luke!
hinet
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by hinet »

doublemax wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:11 pm If you're talking about a Raspi with GUI (GTK or X11), it definitely works.
OK, how about other embedded systems?
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

hinet wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 pm OK, how about other embedded systems?
If it runs Linux with GTK or X11, there is a good chance, wxWidgets will build on it.

There is also wxDFB (FB for framebuffer) which displays a Gui by writing directly into the framebuffer of the graphics card (without running GTK, X11 or similar), but i don't know if this port is still maintained and updated. If you're interested in it, better ask on the mailing list

AFAIK it is also possible to build wxWidgets without any GUI support with special "./configure" options, but i don't know any details.

FWIW, i think using wxWidgets for non-Gui embedded systems is overkill.
Use the source, Luke!
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,
There is also wxDFB (FB for framebuffer) which displays a Gui by writing directly into the framebuffer of the graphics card (without running GTK, X11 or similar), but i don't know if this port is still maintained and updated.
Not for years, iirc.
AFAIK it is also possible to build wxWidgets without and GUI support with special "./configure" options
For a 'base' build I do, in the source dir:

Code: Select all

(mkdir -p basedb && cd basedb/ && ../configure --prefix=$(pwd) --enable-debug --enable-cxx11 --disable-gui  && make -j`nproc`)
Regards,

David