Is there a "web" or "browser" platform?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
rayhofmann
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Is there a "web" or "browser" platform?

Post by rayhofmann »

What i mean is that the platform meaning the device the GUI is displayed on and interacted with is a standard web browser via standard web protocols.

So this wxWidgets platform could represent the whole GUI in a kind of JSON Object Tree.

This JSON Object is rendered to a GUI by client side JavaScript in a Browser and Messages are exchanged as partial updates of objects/values in the JSON Object tree via a WebSocket connection.

Is there anything like this?

If not, what would be the best existing platform to build on?

Does the platform need the native OS heavily for the message/callback infrastructure or are big parts already implemented independent of the platform?

My aim is to make wxWidgets work on a embedded system only having a network interface and using a browser on some device as the GUI.
doublemax

Re: Is there a "web" or "browser" platform?

Post by doublemax »

There is nothing like this in wxWidgets. Not even close.

Depending on what exactly you need to do, i'd suggest to write the whole GUI in HTML/JS
Use the source, Luke!
rayhofmann
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: Is there a "web" or "browser" platform?

Post by rayhofmann »

doublemax wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:48 pm There is nothing like this in wxWidgets. Not even close.

Depending on what exactly you need to do, i'd suggest to write the whole GUI in HTML/JS
This is not an option, because:

Then the GUI in JS/HTML becomes part of the source of the embedded system and needs to be kept in sync with the embedded system functionality, the JS/HTML is not generic anymore.

My approach is to have all specific software contained in the embedded system source while the JS/Html in the Browser is merely a generic library, a platform for wxWidgedts, as i said, no functionality in the JS/Html that is specific to the embedded system.

The other but weaker reason is that parts of the GUI could also be source code exchanged between the embedded system and a program made for some PC.