is there any game engine for codeblocks+wxwidgets?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
greenzyzyzy
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by greenzyzyzy »

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: is there any game engine for codeblocks+wxwidgets?

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Any engine would suffice.
What exactly are you looking for to do?

Thank you.
greenzyzyzy
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by greenzyzyzy »

i am looking for a game engine just like cocos or unity.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

There is no specific game engine "for" wxWidgets. The question is, are there any game engines that can run inside a wxWidgets application?

At least Unity is not a stand-alone engine, it's tightly bundled with its editor, so that's a no.
I don't know much about UE4 engine, but the chances might be better there. If you're researching game engines, check if they can take a platform specific window handle (e.g. a HWND under Windows), and be told to render into that window.

In all cases you will have the problem of two co-existing event loops (one from wxWidgets, and one from the game engine).

But then again, in most games you don't need native windows or GUI elements, so why would you need wxWidgets anyway? E.g. AFAIK UE4 comes with its own internal GUI framework.

And what do you want from a game engine? Displaying 3d and 2D objects? Collision detection? Scene management? Audio library?

What exactly do you want to do?
Use the source, Luke!
greenzyzyzy
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by greenzyzyzy »

doublemax wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:48 am There is no specific game engine "for" wxWidgets. The question is, are there any game engines that can run inside a wxWidgets application?

At least Unity is not a stand-alone engine, it's tightly bundled with its editor, so that's a no.
I don't know much about UE4 engine, but the chances might be better there. If you're researching game engines, check if they can take a platform specific window handle (e.g. a HWND under Windows), and be told to render into that window.

In all cases you will have the problem of two co-existing event loops (one from wxWidgets, and one from the game engine).

But then again, in most games you don't need native windows or GUI elements, so why would you need wxWidgets anyway? E.g. AFAIK UE4 comes with its own internal GUI framework.

And what do you want from a game engine? Displaying 3d and 2D objects? Collision detection? Scene management? Audio library?

What exactly do you want to do?
thank you. i want to get the part of engine is 2d object and Collision dection.
i think just use wxwidgets and windows api can implement it. i do not need DDraw of directx.
What I'm worried about is just use windows GUI functions, does it cause splash screen?
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

i think just use wxwidgets and windows api can implement it. i do not need DDraw of directx.
I think if you use OpenGL or wxGraphicsContext with DirectDraw for the output, it's possible to get performance good enough for a 2D game. http://www.libsdl.org/ might be an option, too.

But you'd have to implement stuff like collision detection yourself. (Which is simple if you just use hitboxes like most engines do).
What I'm worried about is just use windows GUI functions, does it cause splash screen?
I don't understand this.
Use the source, Luke!
greenzyzyzy
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by greenzyzyzy »

doublemax wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:10 pm
I think if you use OpenGL or wxGraphicsContext with DirectDraw for the output, it's possible to get performance good enough for a 2D game. http://www.libsdl.org/ might be an option, too.

But you'd have to implement stuff like collision detection yourself. (Which is simple if you just use hitboxes like most engines do).
I don't understand this.
just use windows GUI api .or wxwidgets GUI api can solve the problem? I do not like DDraw.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

just use windows GUI api .or wxwidgets GUI api can solve the problem? I do not like DDraw.
There is a wxGraphicsContext that uses DirectDraw internally. It's still pure wx API when you use it.
Use the source, Luke!
greenzyzyzy
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by greenzyzyzy »

doublemax wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:32 pm
There is a wxGraphicsContext that uses DirectDraw internally. It's still pure wx API when you use it.
thank you very much.