Embedding Unreal Engine 4 Into wxWidget

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
aalmeida
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Embedding Unreal Engine 4 Into wxWidget

Post by aalmeida »

Hey all,

I'm not sure if anyone else has experience with this. I've been tasked with embedding the game engine Unreal Engine 4 into wxWidget. To be honest I'm pretty stuck and don't have much of a direction to follow because there hasn't been a lot of information for it anywhere. My other options are to export an .exe from Unreal Engine 4 and try embedding that into wxWidget. :?

Any and all guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you
doublemax

Re: Embedding Unreal Engine 4 Into wxWidget

Post by doublemax »

I think this should better be asked on an UE forum. I googled a bit and the consensus seems to be to not try to embed UE into any GUI framework, but use UEs built in GUI framework, "Slate" instead. Which sounds reasonable to me.

In general, the way to connect two libraries like this would be through a platform dependent window handle, e.g. a HWND under Windows. Check the UE api if you find any way to bind the render target to a HWND. Then you could create a wxWindow in wxWidgets and tell UE to render into that window. That would be a first step.
Use the source, Luke!
aalmeida
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: Embedding Unreal Engine 4 Into wxWidget

Post by aalmeida »

doublemax wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:35 pm In general, the way to connect two libraries like this would be through a platform dependent window handle, e.g. a HWND under Windows. Check the UE api if you find any way to bind the render target to a HWND. Then you could create a wxWindow in wxWidgets and tell UE to render into that window. That would be a first step.
Awesome! I'll definitely look into attempting it using the method you suggested, thank you for the step in the right direction