Best Graphics Library For Drawing Text/Graphs On Huge Resolution

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
Everydaydiesel
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Best Graphics Library For Drawing Text/Graphs On Huge Resolution

Post by Everydaydiesel »

Hello,

I am working on designing an application that has a resolution of 7680x4320 (its 4 - 4k monitors put together) in a linux environment.
The monitors will display very small 8pt font letters and have historical graph information.

What is the best graphics library to use for this? I doubt having 1000s and 1000s of labels on a wxForm would be efficient? Should I learn openGl for this? Is there something better you would recommend?

Thanks in advance
doublemax

Re: Best Graphics Library For Drawing Text/Graphs On Huge Resolution

Post by doublemax »

What kind of content? Example?
Is it interactive or just passive display?
Performance requirements? Frame rate? How much of the content changes between frames?
Use the source, Luke!
Everydaydiesel
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Everydaydiesel »

its basically the stock market. I dont really have a frame rate but will need to 'redraw' or update regions of the screen as they come in. Updates could be as fast as 2x a second. It will just be a passive display.
Everydaydiesel
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Everydaydiesel »

also that resolution is the equivalent of 16 (4x4) 1920x1080 monitors so I am concerned with refresh performance
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Everydaydiesel wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:48 am also that resolution is the equivalent of 16 (4x4) 1920x1080 monitors so I am concerned with refresh performance
If this runs on modern hardware, i see no problem at all. No matter if you fill the screen with a few hundred wxStaticText or draw the content yourself using wxDC. But you should update only the items/areas that have actually changed.

It should be easy to build a small demo that mimics the requirements and check how it performs.
Use the source, Luke!