Why there is no compiled WxWidgets version?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
xaviou
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: Why there is no compiled WxWidgets version?

Post by xaviou »

gtafan wrote:Yes I prefer to get the sorces, or to be more precise headers, from the official site and avoid git.
git is not mandatory : I also provide a sources archive.
gtafan wrote:Is there some kind of reedmee about how to bring the sorces and this compiled libs together, so it´ll worck in Code Blocks?
I wrote a small article on how to install these libs : https://wxstuff.xaviou.fr/article/built ... stall.html
Just follow it and don't hesitate to ask if it needs more precise informations.

Regards
Xav'
My wxWidgets stuff web page : X@v's wxStuff
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

xaviou wrote:
gtafan wrote:Yes I prefer to get the sorces, or to be more precise headers, from the official site and avoid git.
git is not mandatory : I also provide a sources archive.
gtafan wrote:Is there some kind of reedmee about how to bring the sorces and this compiled libs together, so it´ll worck in Code Blocks?
I wrote a small article on how to install these libs : https://wxstuff.xaviou.fr/article/built ... stall.html
Just follow it and don't hesitate to ask if it needs more precise informations.

Regards
Xav'
Thanks.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

xaviou wrote:Hi.
eranon wrote:There are compiled wxWidgets available on the wxWidgets website (see the "Binaries" section): https://www.wxwidgets.org/downloads/
And if the choice you have using this link, you can have a look here : you will be able to download differents configurations that can be installed in one time.

Regards
Xav'
Posibly i am just to stupied, but i have extracted the content of the lib folder of "wxWidgets-3.0.4-gcc510TDM-x64-32bits-Static-Monolibs.7z" to the lib folder of "wxWidgets-3.0.4". However when I try to start a wxwidgets project in CodeBlocks I am geting an error mesage:

What have I done wrong?
xaviou
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by xaviou »

Hi
gtafan wrote: Posibly i am just to stupied, but i have extracted the content of the lib folder of "wxWidgets-3.0.4-gcc510TDM-x64-32bits-Static-Monolibs.7z" to the lib folder of "wxWidgets-3.0.4". However when I try to start a wxwidgets project in CodeBlocks I am geting an error mesage:

What have I done wrong?
I agree it's not very clear in the installation article.
If you want to use the downloaded libs "as is", you must specify the "Configuration" field of C::B project wizard.
It must contain "32" or "64" for 32 or 64 bits multi-libs and "32_Mono" or "64_Mono" for monolithics libs.

If you want to get rid of that, just rename the lib folder after extraction (it must be something like "WX_INSTALL_DIR\lib\gcc_lib\" or "WX_INSTALL_DIR\lib\gcc_dll").

Hope it'll help. : if not, don't hesitate to re-ask...

Regards
Xav'
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

xaviou wrote:Hi
gtafan wrote: Posibly i am just to stupied, but i have extracted the content of the lib folder of "wxWidgets-3.0.4-gcc510TDM-x64-32bits-Static-Monolibs.7z" to the lib folder of "wxWidgets-3.0.4". However when I try to start a wxwidgets project in CodeBlocks I am geting an error mesage:

What have I done wrong?
I agree it's not very clear in the installation article.
If you want to use the downloaded libs "as is", you must specify the "Configuration" field of C::B project wizard.
It must contain "32" or "64" for 32 or 64 bits multi-libs and "32_Mono" or "64_Mono" for monolithics libs.

If you want to get rid of that, just rename the lib folder after extraction (it must be something like "WX_INSTALL_DIR\lib\gcc_lib\" or "WX_INSTALL_DIR\lib\gcc_dll").

Hope it'll help. : if not, don't hesitate to re-ask...

Regards
Xav'
Thanks for the answer, at the end I had to build everithing myself, which took me at least an hour again. I had already tried to rename it to "WX_INSTALL_DIR\lib\gcc_lib\", but didn´t help. Posibly the gcc version wasn´t exactly the same, have to check that.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

Very strange the GCC-4.9.2-TDM is not there.

xaviou
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by xaviou »

Hi.
gtafan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:17 am Very strange the GCC-4.9.2-TDM is not there.

The problem is that all "wx-3.0.4" links are related to the same page witch was updated each time.
And the last time it has been updated, I didn't made the Gcc-4.9.2-TDM Version.

So the really correct post is the last one (in date value) witch is related to this version.

Do you really need this ?

Regards
Xav'
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

xaviou wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:31 pm Hi.
gtafan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:17 am Very strange the GCC-4.9.2-TDM is not there.

The problem is that all "wx-3.0.4" links are related to the same page witch was updated each time.
And the last time it has been updated, I didn't made the Gcc-4.9.2-TDM Version.

So the really correct post is the last one (in date value) witch is related to this version.

Do you really need this ?

Regards
Xav'
Unforunately yes, my CodeBlocks version uses this compiler at the moment. Also see no reason, why there should be no GCC-4.9.2-TDM version since ther is GCC-4.8.1-TDM one.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

And how about stable builds for Gcc-8.1.0?
xaviou
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by xaviou »

gtafan wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:02 pm And how about stable builds for Gcc-8.1.0?
If you check the official github page, you'll be able to find a compiled wxWidgets-3.0.5 version for Gcc-8.1.0

Regards

Xav'
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

It is also listed on the Downloads page of the website, i.e., not that hard to find
wxmingwgcc810dl.png
wxmingwgcc810dl.png (40.14 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
However, the combination of threads and exception handling settings used may not be to everyone's liking.

But it SO easy and quick to build wxWidgets on MSW, which is one of the reasons why it is officially recommended to build by ourselves.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

PB wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:39 pm It is also listed on the Downloads page of the website, i.e., not that hard to find
wxmingwgcc810dl.png

However, the combination of threads and exception handling settings used may not be to everyone's liking.

But it SO easy and quick to build wxWidgets on MSW, which is one of the reasons why it is officially recommended to build by ourselves.
Sorry but have to disagree, using comandline is not easy if you not Linux user and half an hour for building is defenetly not quik. On that oficial download site there are only dll builds I can find, but I need static ones.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

gtafan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:19 pm Sorry but have to disagree, using comandline is not easy if you not Linux user and half an hour for building is defenetly not quik. On that oficial download site there are only dll builds I can find, but I need static ones.
I have never used Linux either and I can build wxWidgets with command line just fine. Do you really find instructions like this
1. Change directory to \%WXWIN\%\build\msw and type

> mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc
difficult to follow?

If doing this to build Debug and Release configurations

Code: Select all

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=debug 
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release
seems to complicated or you do not know what a system environment variable is, perhaps C++ is not for you. Sorry to be honest.

Building wxWidgets is also fast, assuming you have at least average PC, i.e., with an SSD and multiple CPU cores. Building a single configuration as described in the docs takes less than 10 minutes. Even if it took half an hour, it is not a task you will be doing every day, week, or even month.

I think that providing prebuilt static libraries is not very common in the OSS C++ world.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

PB wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:57 pm
gtafan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:19 pm Sorry but have to disagree, using comandline is not easy if you not Linux user and half an hour for building is defenetly not quik. On that oficial download site there are only dll builds I can find, but I need static ones.
I have never used Linux either and I can build wxWidgets with command line just fine. Do you really find instructions like this
1. Change directory to \%WXWIN\%\build\msw and type

> mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc
difficult to follow?

If doing this to build Debug and Release configurations

Code: Select all

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=debug 
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release
seems to complicated or you do not know what a system environment variable is, perhaps C++ is not for you. Sorry to be honest.

Building wxWidgets is also fast, assuming you have at least average PC, i.e., with an SSD and multiple CPU cores. Building a single configuration as described in the docs takes less than 10 minutes. Even if it took half an hour, it is not a task you will be doing every day, week, or even month.

I think that providing prebuilt static libraries is not very common in the OSS C++ world.
That comandline is a bit longer, at least if you want to have it build the way you want. Also system environment variable has nothing to do with C++, at least as long you are using no external APIs, so you could said wxWidgets is not for me. Static libraries have 1 huge advantage, you have just 1 single executable file, which you can use on as much PCs with the coresponding OS as you want, and no need to provide all that crapy dlls.
So even if it´s just 10 minutes, let say just 1000 people use the API, makes 10000 minutes wasted.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

gtafan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:23 pm That comandline is a bit longer, at least if you want to have it build the way you want.
What are you missing in the command line compared to the official build (static vs shared aside)? That is how I build wxWidgets for myself with MSVC (the only difference there is using nmake instead of mingw32-make). If you want another options, you cannot use prebuilt wxWidgets binaries anyway? Even if you wanted to use more options, you just copy and paste the options once, save the command as a batch and you are done for ever.
gtafan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:23 pm Static libraries have 1 huge advantage, you have just 1 single executable files, which you can use on as much PCs with the coresponding OS as you want, and no need to provide all that crapy dlls.
Distributing DLLs in 21st century is no big deal, pretty much every popular programs does that, even in the portable version. Static linking, in particular the CRT, has also many disadvantages and is generally not recommended, feasible, or even with some libraries possible.

Just out of curiousity, which other C++ compiled libraries are you familiar with, providing prebuilt static binaries for a large range of compilers? To me it seems you are not very experienced in C++: compared to other large libraries, wxWidgets build extremely easily, painlessly (as they have no external dependencies, at least on MSW), and quick.
gtafan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:23 pm So even if it´s just 10 minutes, let say just 1000 people use the API, makes 10000 minutes wasted.
Not sure what API are you talking about. You also seem to confuse CPU time with human time. You can let the build go in the background, you do not need to fearfully stare at the scary command line window all the time the build is going on. Additionally, compared to resources wasted in other ways, building wxWidgets
gtafan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:23 pm Also system environment variable has nothing to do with C++, at least as long you are using no external APIs, so you could said wxWidgets is not for me.
Even a power user knows how to use system environment variables, it is a must for a real programmer. When building wxWidgets, one commonly uses at least PATH and WXWIN (strongly recommended by the wxWidgets Team). But hey, finally something we can agree on: wxWidgets and C++ seems to be not the best fit for you. ;)