looking for good tutorial book or series

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
grimofdoom
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

looking for good tutorial book or series

Post by grimofdoom »

The website advertises a book on wxWidgets, but it was released in 2005, 12 years ago; and that is a little bit too far for me to trust in getting all the information that I should. I am currently half way through studying a book on c++ (through game design)- and I like how it actually goes over every little things; compared to 99% of video tutorials that just saying 'just do this, and it will work'. I am looking for a physical medium (book, not digital) that will help teach me wxWidget's c++ libraries so that I can adequately produce quality products instead of having to go back and search for things I didn't know even existed (my old way of learning- learn only what you need, when you need; very bad)
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: looking for good tutorial book or series

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

I doubt if there's a more recent physical book on wx. As you know the 2005 one is still available, and the pdf is a free download. It's obviously missing any recently added controls, but the basics are still applicable.

The examples in that book lean heavily on the wx samples, the ones that come with the wx source code. To bring things up to date, I suggest you build and run some of those from wx3.0.2 and look at their code. Start with 'minimal'; 'widgets' demonstrates most of the current controls; otherwise look at ones that sound relevant to your needs.

Regards,

David