Applications without frames

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
yereverluvinuncleber
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Applications without frames

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

Is it possible to create applications without traditional frames?

Applications for example that are heavily skinned and have a transparent background?

Examples:

doublemax

Re: Applications without frames

Post by doublemax »

Not quite. You can have any bitmap as shape (check the "shaped" sample that comes with wxWidgets) and you can have the whole thing semi-transparent. But you can not have some parts transparent and other parts opaque.
Use the source, Luke!
yereverluvinuncleber
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Does that mean an object's opacity can be reduced to 1 out of 255 (or similar) so it is virtually invisible? The background too. No frame, close, minimise buttons at all

Can such an object have a click-through so it does not respond to a click and in fact the click goes to any underlying object including the desktop?
No point in having no-frame apps if a hidden background prevents click-throughs to underlying desktop objects such as icons, shortcuts &c.

Another example of one my desktop apps:

The opacity and the click-through ability can make or break an app like this.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

There are two different things:

A "shaped" frame like it's called in wxWidgets is possible. That's a borderless and captionless frame which shape is determined by a bitmap. There is no per-pixel alpha though. Pixels are either on or off.

On top of that you can set a transparency from 0-255 for the whole frame. This works with all frames, not only "shaped" ones.

But there is no click-through. The frame reacts to mouse clicks inside the shape like a normal frame. This could be accomplished under Windows with platform specfic code (mouse hook). I don't know about other platforms.
Use the source, Luke!
yereverluvinuncleber
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Thankyou, that is very useful.

I was thinking about using Wxbasic as it is a familiar dialect and the examples to create an app. seemed clear enough. I am looking for a language/environment to migrate my mini apps to, currently javascript, XML and png objects with a great deal of transparency.

This is a link to my mini-apps that shows you what I am looking to migrate:
http://lightquick.co.uk/steampunk-widge ... Itemid=264

They run on the desktop, were multi platform (Windows and OS/X), have clickthrough when/where they are completely transparent.

In my search I have not found a multi-platform environment that allows re-use of my VB-style code that is flexible enough to take over the mantle of the old desktop widget engines with the above characteristics. Tried a few now with little success. Seems that the transparency of frames, backgrounds is an issue for most. I suspect Wxbasic isn't going to be the one for me, not for now.