Report Desinger plugin ??? Urgent !

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
AKG
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Report Desinger plugin ??? Urgent !

Post by AKG »

I use CodeBlocks and wxWidgets to create an app for an hotels, and I need to print reports. I have to desing many new reports for them, and want to use a designer tool, that lets me drop fields and move them arround, select from a query what to print from the database etc.

What can I use ? This is urgent now, please let me know what you use for printing report or any kind of printing.

Thank you.
doublemax

Re: Report Desinger plugin ??? Urgent !

Post by doublemax »

I don't know any tool for wxWidgets that does this.

I think the fastest and easiest way to get a nice looking printout is through HTML. Create a nice looking HTML page and set some placeholders for the strings you want to replace with data from the database, e.g. #firstname# #lastname# etc.

Then in your program you load the HTML file as text, replace the placeholders and use wxWebView to display and eventually print it.
Use the source, Luke!
AKG
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by AKG »

What about any other Report Designer that can generate som C++ code that I can then put in my application ?
Like the FormBuilder that makes a Form, and then generate code that is put in to the application ?

Is there nothing like that ??
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I don't know, but i also can't imagine how that's supposed to work, if it's a tool that doesn't know anything about wxWidgets or how to access the database.
Use the source, Luke!
AKG
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by AKG »

If you have time, take a look at this:

http://www.oxetta.com/

Its a visual report generator, it lets you connect to a database, and there is some source code samples ...

It is very small, and very simple / easy to use it seems like...

Anybody have any experience with this one ???
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

That looks pretty nice, i didn't know something like that existed. If you only need a Windows solution this might work, but without taking a closer look and testing it myself, i can't say for sure.
Use the source, Luke!
marcelinux
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by marcelinux »

May be, you can try with *wxReportDocument* from http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/complist. ... ing&page=1
I used *wxPdfDocument* in a test application for learning.
Good luck
I just need learn a little bit more. Thank you for your help.
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by iwbnwif »

It isn't in any way related to wxWidgets, but one of the best tools for this job is Jasper Reports.

I wish that there was a wxWidgets equivalent, but I think that it would be a huge project and wxReportDocument is probably as close as we will get.
wxWidgets 3.1.2, MinGW64 8.1.0, g++ 8.1.0, Ubuntu 19.04, Windows 10, CodeLite + wxCrafter
Some people, when confronted with a GUI problem, think "I know, I'll use Eclipse RCP". Now they have two problems.
AshtonC1
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by AshtonC1 »

AKG,
What did you end up using for your report requirement?

JasperReports Library looks great if it will work with my Linux C++, wxWidgets , Code::Blocks setup.

What report method is everyone else using?
termi
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by termi »

Looking for probably better report generator found this post. Probably helpfull for others:

From experience - wxPdfDocument works very fine already several years for me; but you have to pass successfully the difficulties during the compilation and integration in your own application. I needed three trials and finally wrote a own Cmake Script around and now works fine. You can place images and text and format.

Now checking the wxReportDocument an this seems an excellent basis for another reports and easy export after that to pdf, xlsx (need another library) or html
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by iwbnwif »

It is also worth considering Lime Report (http://limereport.ru/en/index.php) in this category, although it is unfortunately Qt and not wxWidgets.

However, it can still be integrated into any C++ application with suitable libraries.
wxWidgets 3.1.2, MinGW64 8.1.0, g++ 8.1.0, Ubuntu 19.04, Windows 10, CodeLite + wxCrafter
Some people, when confronted with a GUI problem, think "I know, I'll use Eclipse RCP". Now they have two problems.
tomay3000
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by tomay3000 »

Any news to share about the subject?
I am gonna try wxReportDocument and see if I can extend it.

TIA.