wxWidgets 3 book

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
malloc
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxWidgets 3 book

Post by malloc »

I was looking for a book on wxWidgets and the one that seems to be the most popular is ten years old (2005) and mentions wxWidgets 2.8 only (Cross-Platform GUI Programming with wxWidgets).

Is there an updated book for wxWidgets 3 in the works? Or better yet, is the v3 API similar so that reading this book would not be a waste of time?

I'm currently looking for the fastest way to get up to speed with wxWidgets (haven't used it before).

Thanks.
doublemax

Re: wxWidgets 3 book

Post by doublemax »

Is there an updated book for wxWidgets 3 in the works?
Not that i know of.
Or better yet, is the v3 API similar so that reading this book would not be a waste of time?
Yes, and it's still a good resource to learn the basic structure of a wxWidgets application.

I can also recommend this tutorial:
http://zetcode.com/gui/wxwidgets/

And this about "sizers", the layout tools that wxWidgets uses. Most beginners have problems with those:
http://neume.sourceforge.net/sizerdemo/
Use the source, Luke!
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

In My spare time I love to blog about wx also.
http://hosannahighertech.co.tz/blog/mweledi
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
malloc
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by malloc »

Those are great resources, thanks. I'll give the book a go, too.

@evstevemd, as I was reading your wxWidgets 101 series I found a serious security flaw in your website (exposed code and SQL) but I can't PM you since I don't have enough reputation yet. I don't want to post it here for obvious reasons but if you want to you can get in touch with me via Twitter private message (at lefok) and I'll show you what I found. Looks like an easy fix.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

malloc wrote:Those are great resources, thanks. I'll give the book a go, too.

@evstevemd, as I was reading your wxWidgets 101 series I found a serious security flaw in your website (exposed code and SQL) but I can't PM you since I don't have enough reputation yet. I don't want to post it here for obvious reasons but if you want to you can get in touch with me via Twitter private message (at lefok) and I'll show you what I found. Looks like an easy fix.
I'll contact you there.
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?