License question Topic is solved

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
the ear
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

License question

Post by the ear »

Hello!

I have a couple of questions on licensing. If wxWidgets is used in a closed source app, statically linked...

1) What kind of copyright notice should be used, and where should it be placed? Would "Using wxWidgets, copyright the developers of wxWidgets" in the about box do it?

2) Should the wxWidgets license and LGPL be packaged and distributed with the app somehow?

I tried searching for information, and reading the LGPL, but couldn't quite figure it out :wink:
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

I'm no lawyer, so this is just my two cents' worth. Kevin?

wxWidgets does not use the LGPL, so in essence you dont need to acknoledge the developers, tho i guess JS and VZ wont mind ;)

And no, the license is totally up to you.
the ear
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by the ear »

Thanks for your reply!

I think I will at least acknowledge the wx developers' copyright in the help files. I have Copyright |my name| in a couple of places, but with my app I'm distributing (by statically linkig) parts of wxWidgets, which are in fact not copyrighted by me. I'm just using it with their permission :)

I guess what confuses me, is that I'm not exactly clear on what sections of the LGPL the wxWidgets license exceptions invalidate :?

Further comments are welcome :D, in particular, it would be interesting to know how other closed source apps handled it.
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

in my about box i use "This distribution uses wxWidgets 2.6.2." coz i use the CVS
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Re: License question

Post by Ryan Norton »

You don't need to do anything - there are no restrictions when using a compiled application.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
the ear
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by the ear »

Thank you both!

The wxWidgets developers will still be mentioned in my help files, because I would feel kind of guilty if I didn't mention them ;)
ssigala
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by ssigala »

the ear wrote:Thank you both!

The wxWidgets developers will still be mentioned in my help files, because I would feel kind of guilty if I didn't mention them ;)
If you want, you might also add a link to the wxWidgets page with a button:

Sandro Sigala - Kynosoft, Brescia