What software update mechanisms are currently used?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
lollisoft
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

What software update mechanisms are currently used?

Post by lollisoft »

Hi,

it's a long time, since I have written a post here in this forum. My current issue relates to software update mechanisms.

I had a look at webupdate and found it with a last version as of 2005-11-12 too old to be a candidate. Am I right with my concern?

My next release should have an update mechanism, that enables the users to be notified and me to be informed about the usage.

Can it still be used within 2.8.x or current releases?

Who is using it?

What else is successfully used (including unattented updates)?

Thanks,

Lothar
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS X (Panther/Leopard/Snow Leopard), SuSE Linux, Debian (PPC), OpenMoko FreeRunner
Compiler: OpenWatcom, GCC
wxWidgets 2.8.x
IDE Makefile based.
RAD My own brewed, Code generation with XSLT and DialogBlocks
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What software update mechanisms are currently used?

Post by tierra »

WebUpdate was written by Francesco Montorsi, who has historically been highly involved in wxWidgets core development. However, he did mention taking an extended break to work on his PhD just over two years ago.

I don't doubt it's still a quality component, but on the other hand, most application update components are highly platform-specific anyway, so there's really no reason you shouldn't use more popular non-wxWidgets-specific update solutions used with most other Windows applications either. I'm not really familiar with what those options are myself though.
lollisoft
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: What software update mechanisms are currently used?

Post by lollisoft »

For simplicity, yesterday I have written a plugin for my software that uses wxHTTP and wxJSON to read a release file from my webserver. That's all I need to inform the user. He/she could decide to act upon.
I'll have a look at WebUpdate for a separate project.

Thanks

Lothar
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS X (Panther/Leopard/Snow Leopard), SuSE Linux, Debian (PPC), OpenMoko FreeRunner
Compiler: OpenWatcom, GCC
wxWidgets 2.8.x
IDE Makefile based.
RAD My own brewed, Code generation with XSLT and DialogBlocks