wxHTMLHelpController

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
ktmpal
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxHTMLHelpController

Post by ktmpal »

I am using the html help controller for help display in an application I'm developing. I'm developing the web pages in Kompozer and they display just fine in Chrome. However, the line spacing and font sizes are not consistent/distorted when displayed in the app with the controller. The wxWidgets version is 2.8.12 running Ubuntu 12.04.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Ken :(
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wxHTMLHelpController

Post by Auria »

wxHTML is not a full HTML render engine, it's just a rich text control based on a subset of HTML.
If you need a full render engine, the best strategy is to upgrade to wxWidgets 2.9 and use wxWebView
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
ktmpal
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by ktmpal »

That's unfortunate. I am intentionally using the version of wxWidgets that ships with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS so that it's trivial for users to install the libraries. I would much prefer that they not be forced to install packages that may seem non-trivial to them. I mean really, I've got to go to the bleeding edge to HTML support?

Thanks for the post,
Ken
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

There is indeed no full HTML support in wx 2.8.

Note that if you target ubuntu specifically, you can statically link in wxWidgets 2.9, which then leaves users to install WebKit-GTK and other dependencies, but does not force them to install wx 2.9. If you target more than one distribution, though, it gets more difficult I agree.
-- Windows
ktmpal
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by ktmpal »

Ok, so I have converted my help html to simply use a browser. Not optimal but commonly done and workable. However, when I try to use it with wxLaunchDefaultBrowser nothing happens! No browser launches.

What's up with that?
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Hmm, wxLaunchDefaultBrowser should work and does work for me. I'm afraid you might need to go dig deeper in the code to figure what's going on
-- Windows