wxRibbon and trial of current wxAll 2.9.0 Topic is solved

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
lollisoft
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

wxRibbon and trial of current wxAll 2.9.0

Post by lollisoft »

Hi,

as I am currently working with DevExpress on .NET, I came into contact with ribbons and think it is my next important development step in GUI polish.

I tried to build the wxALL 2.9.0 snapshot (not daily) on my Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, on Windows XP with Open Watcom 1.7 and Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express.

I could not compile the code to try out the ribbon, if there is such a sample application.

What I probably want to do, if the errors below could not fixed next time is using 2.8.5 and the wxRibbon based code if that is possible.

Any tips?

Thanks

Lothar

I got the following errors per platform / development Tool:

Mac OS X / ./configure --enable-shared=yes --enable-monolithic=yes --enable-unicode=no

/Users/lothar/Downloads/wxWidgets-2.9.0/bk-deps g++ -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -c -o monodll_carbon_utils.o -I./.pch/wxprec_monodll -D__WXOSX_CARBON__ -DWXBUILDING -I/Users/lothar/Downloads/wxWidgets-2.9.0/src/tiff/libtiff -I./src/tiff/libtiff -I./src/jpeg -I./src/png -DwxUSE_BASE=1 -DWXMAKINGDLL -I./src/stc/scintilla/include -I./src/stc/scintilla/src -D__WX__ -DSCI_LEXER -DLINK_LEXERS -dynamic -fPIC -DPIC -Wall -Wundef -Wunused-parameter -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Woverloaded-virtual -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/Users/lothar/Downloads/wxWidgets-2.9.0/lib/wx/include/osx_carbon-ansi-release-2.9 -I./include -fpascal-strings -I./src/mac/carbon/morefilex -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -DWX_PRECOMP -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden ./src/osx/carbon/utils.cpp
./src/osx/carbon/utils.cpp: In function ‘void wxGetMousePosition(int*, int*)’:
./src/osx/carbon/utils.cpp:161: error: ‘GetGlobalMouse’ was not declared in this scope
./src/osx/carbon/utils.cpp: In function ‘void wxClientDisplayRect(int*, int*, int*, int*)’:
./src/osx/carbon/utils.cpp:184: error: ‘GetMainDevice’ was not declared in this scope
./src/osx/carbon/utils.cpp:184: error: ‘GetAvailableWindowPositioningBounds’ was not declared in this scope

Windows / Open Watcom 1.7 (I will put the full error from my Windows box, as I am currently on Mac)

In file ..\..\include\wx\arrstr.h(290): Error! E029: col(20) symbol 'distance' has not been declared

Windows / Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express:

Generally the windows.h file is not found. But I think this is only an include path issue.
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS X (Panther/Leopard/Snow Leopard), SuSE Linux, Debian (PPC), OpenMoko FreeRunner
Compiler: OpenWatcom, GCC
wxWidgets 2.8.x
IDE Makefile based.
RAD My own brewed, Code generation with XSLT and DialogBlocks
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

About mac OS X, I would highly recommend using 2.9.1/trunk, it has improved a lot there. About your problem : this is mac OS X Snow Leopard, so g++ defaults to building 64-bits binaries, but it won't work because Carbon isn't fully available there. So you'll need to build with -arch i386; also, if you want 10.4 support, you will need to use g++-4.0 and not g++ . I believe wx 2.9.1/trunk gets more of these right without manual intervention than 2.9.0
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
lollisoft
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by lollisoft »

Thanks,

I have seen that I should use the trunk version and not a prepared package. Instead of doing so, as I have problems with 2.9.0 in general, I have ported the wxRibbon library to at least wxMSW 2.8.5.

I got the code and the sample compiled. The wxRibbon code is compilable as a DLL. Tested is the code with Open Watcom 1.7.

The only change in the wx include files I have made, is adding the WXUSINGDLL_RIBBON and dllexport import stuff into the dlimpexp.h. The complete code would then compile in a separate directory and could be a separate DLL.

But I haven't yet told this porting anywhere else. I'll like to know, if it is possible to backport the code into a pre 2.9.0 release as a patch or even including it.

If that is not an option I'll put the version in my repository until any desicions are made. Also I'll contact the original author about this issue.

I think, any more screenshots are useless, as it is the original sample.

Regards

Lothar
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS X (Panther/Leopard/Snow Leopard), SuSE Linux, Debian (PPC), OpenMoko FreeRunner
wxWidgets 2.8.x
IDE Makefile based.
lollisoft
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by lollisoft »

Auria wrote:About mac OS X, I would highly recommend using 2.9.1/trunk, it has improved a lot there. About your problem : this is mac OS X Snow Leopard, so g++ defaults to building 64-bits binaries, but it won't work because Carbon isn't fully available there. So you'll need to build with -arch i386; also, if you want 10.4 support, you will need to use g++-4.0 and not g++ . I believe wx 2.9.1/trunk gets more of these right without manual intervention than 2.9.0
I am using 2.8.10 with these arch flags to force i386 :-)
wxWidgets 2.8.x
IDE Makefile based.
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

I am dubious that the wx devs will want to include wxRibbon in wxWidgets 2.8; 2.8.11 was recently released and to the best of my knowledge they don't intend to spend much more time on 2.8. But you could ask them on the mailing lists if you want to talk to them personnaly
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows