What flow of programming and tools do you use?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
Scorcher24
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: What flow of programming and tools do you use?

Post by Scorcher24 »

For my current project and mostly all others, I use this combination:

SourceControl: Suberversion
IDE: Visual C++ 2008 Professional with VisualAssistX
Debugger: Visual C++ 2008, there is nothing better on Windows / gDEBugger for my OpenGL Projects
Packer: none
Translation: poEdit
GUI: wxFormbuilder (wxRC)
Pictures: GIMP
Documentation: Doxygen
Setup: INNO
Scripts for recurring Tasks: Python
Scripting for the Application: Angelscript
Having a Break: Steam

And no I am not a professional :).

I have a few code-snippets flying around from which I start off new applications. I copy them into my project before I begin. I also have a python script which lets me generate a few classes I need.
Depending on the application I begin to program some .dll for the logic of the program. I often keep that in a .dll to be able to make a commandline-program for it too etc. Depends on the project.
If I have the most basic stuff I need for the logic, I start wxFormBuilder and click the GUI together I need and export this to wxRC and start to make the connections for the menus, events etc.
At the end I translate my app and add more menu-entries for convinience, eye candy and what not else :). Sometimes I just start on the GUI to take a break from the logic also. Well, I am not a professional as said, I do what I want to do in that moment. And I am a bit a chaotic programmer :D. I often end up programming a new feature, then I recognize feature X is still missing which I need to achieve the feature I wanted to add and then I invent a new feature while doing all this 8) #-o .
Hah, but I still manage to release some day.
IDE: VC++ 2008 Professional
WX: 2.9.2
My Projects
James Munn
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by James Munn »

Hi guys
Can anybody outline the shortest list of purely absolutely basic tools to programme an app?
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

James Munn wrote:Hi guys
Can anybody outline the shortest list of purely absolutely basic tools to programme an app?
On which platform? What sort of app?

The absolute basics are some sort of editor, plus a compiler/linker.

Regards,

David
Youka
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Youka »

GUI: wxWidgets (always actual) by hand
IDE: Code::Blocks
Compiler: MinGW (windows) / GCC (linux)
Packer: none
Version Control: Subversion
Icons & pictures: GIMP
Translation: Poedit
Setup: NSIS
Scripting: Lua
Help files: Doxygen (API), HTML
Distribution: Own site
Edward Ronald
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Edward Ronald »

I am using some of following programs:

1. For the GUI, i m using VisualWX
2. For IDE, I am using to Codeblocks
3. For Compiler, I am using to GCC
4. For Installer, I am using to Installshield
5. WinCVS for version control

These above techniques I applies.
beneficii
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by beneficii »

For the GUI, wxFormBuilder
For the IDE, was using NetBeans but switched to Visual Studio 2013 (Visual C++) when NetBeans kept giving me a whole bunch of false negatives and false positive on its parser.
For the compiler, I am using Visual C++, but I am not going to use VC++-specific codes (like pragma for the header guards; I just use my own header guards), so it is portable.
For Installer, none yet.
For version control, none yet.
wxProgrammer
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by wxProgrammer »

1) I write to paper the basic GUI and the main functions, only a sketch;
2) I write the code with Visual Studio 2012: for each class I write an .h and an .cpp files; I don't use sw for draw GUI , I prefer (and I love) write codes :) If I need, I get parts of codes from other project that I've written in past;
3) I do backup every time I add significants functions;
5) I debug trying all possibles combinations for see if I've programmed all the cases
6) I search bug and possible hack-injection/exploits/buffer overflow and I fix it
4) At the end of all program, I write the license and documentation (and if it's open source, I use Doxygen)
5) From today I'll compress the exe with UPX (thank you for the info :D)
6) I create the setup with InnoSetup
7) I try to install it into a pc when I don't have VS or other sw for programming for see if there are library that I haven't embedded but in my pc there are (for example msvcp110.dll)
8) I use it for testing
9) I rename the project-folder with "*name project* [COMPLETED]" :P
I'm Italian but we can speak C++ :)
koekhaos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by koekhaos »

1. I have a nice graph paper pad I sketch out most of my ideas on first.
2. I use CodeLite with wxCraft, I was using CodeBlocks but they don't support Mac and when I tried CodeLite I found it works quite very well and in many ways I like it better than CodeBlocks. Sometimes I also use NotePad++ just for quick checks or edits to stuff being used in conjunction with my programming as well as for various scripting and html.
3. I haven't gotten to 3 yet since I've never worked with anyone or released anything and am just a dumb amateur still trying to figure it all out. :P
alys666
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by alys666 »

GCC, GDB, custom C++ ide
ubuntu 20.04, wxWidgets 3.2.1
Rohit Agarwal
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Rohit Agarwal »

I'm on a (new M1) MAC.
I use Xcode to edit my code
and g++ to compile and link from a terminal.
I do not use a debugger.

I find editing using Xcode to be cumbersome and requiring too much scrolling and mouse-usage.
I haven't been able to figure out making an Xcode project for my development.
I use it only as a code editor.
If I could do that, it would likely function a bit better.
But it's still cumbersome.
I have about 2500 lines of C code right now
and navigating through it is definitely a pain.

I plan to build my own source code editing/management tool as a side project.
samofvt
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by samofvt »

- Windows 10 (probably 11 soon enough) x64
- Visual Studio 2017 (soon to switch to 2019 or 2022)
- My own Visual Studio template to create new projects (lib, dialog-based or frame-based)
- Dialog Blocks to get the GUI components done super quick, but I edit the code in VS. Both dialog blocks and VS are usually pretty good about detecting changes the other one makes and reloading.
- wxWidgets 3.1.2 but have 3.1.5 in the queue (might skip to the dev-master/3.1.6 because it looks like an awesome upgrade). Static Link Libraries Only.

When making major changes to configurations, I've found it's easier to edit the Visual studio vcxproj files (and sometimes Dialog Blocks pjd files) in an xml editor instead of going through all the dialog screens to find the settings. Someday, I'd love to spend some time making a utility that can copy major settings from a master project and apply them to other (selected) projects. Also make heavy use of ENV variables, esp. for linker dependancies.

The only Documentation generator I've found that meets my expectations is Doxygen. But here's another project I'd like to do someday when I get an extra month or two: I've always felt full documentation doesn't belong mixed in with the code (like docblock or whatever). Sure, document the code where it's not clear what it's doing, but for a full usage documentation, there should be a separate management component that can match your existing functions/classes/tokens to entries in a database where the full descriptions are kept. There you can use an actual wysiwig document editor to describe things. Doxygen is close, and the xml output would be a perfect starting point to merge with a database stored documentation. Some time ago, the VC++ compiler had an option to generate xml representations directly by the compiler. I believe intended to be used with an IDL interpreter. If I'm not mistaken, they depreciated that functionality for some reason (it would probably make it too easy for someone to use it to generate their documentation...go figure).

Then again, who needs documentation, anyway (ha ha).
FredCL
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by FredCL »

Hello,

On Windows:
- Code::Blocks
- DialogBlocks
- Notepad++
- 7Zip

On Mac
- Atom
- make
- lldb
- system archive manager

On GNU Linux (Ubuntu)
- gedit
- make
- ddd
- Gestionnaire d'archive (I don't know the name used in english probably Archive Manager)

Others tools
- Oracle VirtualBox (for Linux and Mac vm)
- Proxmox (for mac vm)
- TeamViewver (connecting to proxmox vm)
- FileZilla to deploy to my site (cfred.free.fr)
- PackMan (for building devpacks for wxDev-Cpp users)
- XPMConvert

====================================================
F.Cailleau-Lepetit - SoftInTheBox