What IDE do you use?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.

What IDEs do you use?

Code::Blocks
40%
Visual Studios
27%
Dev-C++ / wxDev-C++
9%
XCode
2%
Eclipse
11%
NetBeans
No votes
none (vim, emacs, gedit, ...)
2%
Other
9%

Total votes: 45

Kenneth Camargo
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Kenneth Camargo »

evstevemd wrote: cool If I get time, I will give it another go. But great is wxFB compared to wxSmith. One thing I appreciate is that, wxSmith supports much features like AUI but there is a work around for this ;)
Hi, I didn't understand your last sentence, whether you meant that wxSmith has or does not have support fo wxAUI - it does, if you meant to ask that.

In terms of actually designing screens they seem to me to work exactly the same way, the big difference is that wxFormBuilder creates a class that is meant to be derived, whereas wxSmith writes code that you can modify directly. I know that there are good reasons why the wxFB people chose the first approach (as they state in the docs), but I prefer the latter.

In the end, much boils down to personal preference, and in matters of taste, to each its own.

Ken
Using gcc 4.7.2 (mainly), wxWidgets 2.8.12 & 2.9.4, Ubuntu 12.10 (32 bits and 64 bits), win xp (32 bits), win 7 (64 bits), trying to get a hand on Mac OSX Mountain Lion, code::blocks
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Kenneth Camargo wrote: Hi, I didn't understand your last sentence, whether you meant that wxSmith has or does not have support fo wxAUI - it does, if you meant to ask that.
I meant that wxAuiManager is supported by wxS while wxFB doesn't. But there is work around with wxFB to get is done.
Kenneth Camargo wrote: In terms of actually designing screens they seem to me to work exactly the same way, the big difference is that wxFormBuilder creates a class that is meant to be derived, whereas wxSmith writes code that you can modify directly. I know that there are good reasons why the wxFB people chose the first approach (as they state in the docs), but I prefer the latter.
Sure, I understand now why we differ. I lobe the wxFB approach to inheritance than mess up with codes. You like the other approach. :P

Kenneth Camargo wrote: In the end, much boils down to personal preference, and in matters of taste, to each its own.

Ken
Voila! :wink:
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Today I was exploring Codelite, viewing demo videos and so forth. I discovered that Codelite have many features than Code::Blocks. I don't say code::Blocks is small IDE but I have to confess the truth. I'm thinking of even Going back give that wxSmith is not my Builder.

I still use C::B in windows and I need to familiarize well with CL.

It is greater than I imagined. I have to be caeful now about statements I make about wxSmith. It might be of what I thought of codelite.

Bravo to C::B & Eran for such great free piece if IDEs I wish that could be the case for PHP :oops:
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
Muetdhiver
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Muetdhiver »

I'm using Eclipse both on Windows and ubuntu, with the same project and wxwdigets, so my application runs on both plateforms.

I'm really surprise that nobody use Eclipse CDT with wxwdigets, and I want to know why ?

I also want to know wich debugger comes with Codelite, and if it is supporting debugging for wxWidgets base objects ? (for example the ability of reading wxString, wxList content, etc.) ?
If it is GDB, how do you achieve this ?

Thanks.
Compiler: g++ 4.6.1 (Eclipse CDT Indigo)
wxWidgets: 2.9.3
eranif

Post by eranif »

I also want to know wich debugger comes with Codelite, and if it is supporting debugging for wxWidgets base objects ? (for example the ability of reading wxString, wxList content, etc.) ?
If it is GDB, how do you achieve this ?
codelite is using gdb as its internal debugger.

If you develop on Windows, downloading the package which bundles wxWidgets + MinGW (contains the *official* gcc4.4.0/gdb7.0) is the best option for you.

The bundled wxWidgets is a monolithic build of wxWidgets as DLLs (Debug/Release, both unicode)

codelite uses the GDB MI (Machine Interface) which provides much more powerful debugging capabilities than the normal CLI mode.

However, wxList (from the wxWidgets2.8.X) holds its data as 'void*' - this is why gdb can not display the content only the address, you will need to cast it.

I am attaching 3 screenshots for debugging this simple code:

Code: Select all

#include <string>
#include <wx/list.h>

WX_DECLARE_LIST(std::string, MyList);

#include <wx/listimpl.cpp>
WX_DEFINE_LIST(MyList);

int main(int zargc, char **zargv)
{
	MyList list;
	std::string s1("eran");
	std::string s2("ifrah");
    list.Append(&s1);
    list.Append(&s2);

wxString wxStr;
	wxStr = wxT("wxstring content");

return 0;
}

Eran
Attachments
expanding wxList using codelite's gdb interface
expanding wxList using codelite's gdb interface
dbg-list.png (13.03 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
expanding wxstring in the 'pop-up' dialog
expanding wxstring in the 'pop-up' dialog
wxstring-dbg.png (7.22 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
Auto evaluate items in the 'locals' view
Auto evaluate items in the 'locals' view
wxstring-locals.png (19.68 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
IDE: CodeLite + wxCrafter
https://wxcrafter.codelite.org
https://codelite.org
frank_frl
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by frank_frl »

I'm using CodeLite now for more than one year for my daily work (MAC and PC) and for me it's the best IDE I ever had.(Used Code::Blocks before, tried all kind of free IDEs).

CodeLite is quiet small and focused on C++, code completion works well and it has a lot of features which make programmers life easy and productive. But the best thing about it is Eran's endless effort in making this great peace of software better and better.(With success BTW)

Frank
WinXp SP3, OS X10.5.5; CodeLite, Dialog::Blocks, wxWidgets 2.8.10
HJTrost
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by HJTrost »

Muetdhiver wrote:I'm really surprise that nobody use Eclipse CDT with wxwdigets, and I want to know why ?
Well, here's another CDT-Ecliptician using it with wx2.8.10, on Windows (XP SP3) only at this time but Linux as a complement is waiting in the wings (Ubuntu 8.04 right now, may become 10.4 when it comes out). Not quite happy with everything yet, though. I'll put a check on Eclipse in the poll anyway.

Cheers, Jochen
Nil nimium studeo, Caesar, tibi velle placere
nec scire ut an sis albus an ater homo.
Catullus